Colorado city managers
The city council appoints city managers on the basis of his or her executive and administrative qualifications. The city manager need not, when appointed, be a resident of the city or of the state. No member of the city council shall be chosen as city manager during his term of office. The city manager is appointed for an indefinite term.
The city manager may be removed at the discretion of the city council. In this case, he or she may demand and must be given a written statement of the reasons for his or her removal and he or she has the right to be heard at a public council meeting prior to the final vote regarding removal. Until the finalized decision is made, the city council may suspend the city manager from office.
If the city manager must be absent or is disabled, the city council can designate a qualified person to perform the duties of the office during the absence or disability.
The city manager is entitled to a seat in the city council but does not have a vote in it. The city manager can take part in the discussion of all matters coming before the city council.
The city manager is responsible to the city council for the proper administration of all city affairs placed in his or her charge and he or she has the power to appoint and remove all officers and employees in the city's administrative service (except the city attorney and the municipal judge). These appointments will be on the basis of executive and administrative ability, training, and experience of appointees in the work which they are to perform. All such appointments have indefinite terms.
Officers and employees appointed by the city manager may be removed by him or her at any time for cause. The decision of the city manager in any such case is final.
The city manager:
- Supervises the administration of the affairs of the city
- Sees that the ordinances of the city and the applicable laws of the state are enforced
- Makes recommendations to the city council concerning the affairs of the city
- Keeps the city council advised of the financial conditions and future needs of the city
- Prepares and submits to the city council the annual budget estimate
- Prepares and submits to the city council such reports as are required by that body
- Prepares and submits each month to the city council a detailed report covering all activities of the city, including a summary statement of revenues and expenditures for the preceding month, detailed as to appropriations and funds in such a manner as to show the exact financial condition of the city and of each department and division thereof as of the last day of the previous month
- Performs such other duties as prescribed by ordinance or resolution of the city council.