Columbia Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Columbia Public Schools
Boone County, Missouri ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Missouri
About the district
- See also: Columbia Public Schools, Missouri
Columbia underperformed the state average in median household income and residents living below the poverty level. The United States Census Bureau found that 54.1 percent of Columbia residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 25.8 percent for Missouri as a whole. The median household income in Columbia was $43,084 compared to $51,529 for the state of Missouri. The poverty rate in Columbia was 23.6 percent compared to 15.0 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Columbia Public Schools Board of Education consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There is no primary election, and the general election was held on April 8, 2014. Three at-large seats were on the ballot in 2014, two seats will be on the ballot in 2015 and the remaining seats will appear on the ballot in 2016.
The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 28, 2014.
- Paul Cushing
- IT Professional
- Jonathan Sessions
- Managing partner, Tech 2
- Joseph A. Toepke
- Human resource manager
- Helen Wade
Jonathan Sessions, Paul Cushing and Helen Wade defeated Joseph A. Toepke for three seats on the Columbia Public Board of Education.
|Columbia Public Schools, At-Large General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Joseph A. Toepke||16.8%||4,289|
|Source: Show Me Boone.com, "Election Results: April 8, 2014," accessed April 9, 2014|
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the Missouri Ethics Commission.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 17, 2013||First day for candidate filing|
|January 21, 2014||Last day for candidate filing|
|January 28, 2014||Deadline for entities to certify elections to election authority|
|February 25, 2014||First day for absentee voting|
|April 2, 2014||Last day absentee ballot can be mailed|
|March 12, 2014||Voter registration deadline|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The April 8, 2014 General Municipal Election featured races for local, municipal and school positions.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Columbia + Public + Schools + Missouri"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Columbia Public Schools, Missouri
- Missouri school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Boone County, Missouri ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Missouri
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- United States Census Bureau, "Arnold (city), Missouri," accessed February 6, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Boone County, Missouri, "Election Information," accessed February 5, 2014
- Columbia Public Schools, "Board of Education," accessed February 11, 2014
- Show Me Boone.com, "2014 ELECTION CALENDAR," accessed February 15, 2014
- Missouri, "Campaign Finance," accessed Feruary 10, 2014
- Show Me Boonee.com, "April 5, 2011 Election results," February 11, 2014
- Show Me Boone.ocm, "Election Calendar," accessed February 15, 2014
- Show Me Boone.com, "Election Calendar," accessed February 15, 2014
|2014 Columbia Public Schools Elections|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Paul Cushing • Incumbent, Jonathan Sessions • Joseph A. Toepke • Incumbent, Helen Wade|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|