Columbia School District Levy Increase (April 2012)
This measure was approved
- YES 8,011 (56.38%)
- NO 6,199 (43.62%)
This measure sought to increase the current school levy by a rate of $.40 per $100 of assessed property value leading to a property tax rate at $4.48. The money would go towards maintaining current staff as well as paying for operational costs in the district.
The Columbia Chamber of Commerce gave its support behind this measure, noting that the district continues to grow and the need for additional revenues also continue to grow.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Shall The School District of Columbia, Boone County, Missouri, be authorized to increase the operating tax levy by forty cents ($0.40) per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation for the purpose of maintaining current programs and staffing, due to decreased state and federal funding? If this proposition is approved, the adjusted operating levy of the school district is estimated to be $4.4793 per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation.|
- Columbia Daily Tribune, "Voters asked to give more to schools," April 1, 2012
- Columbia Daily Tribune, "Candidates favor schools' bond, tax levy," March 12, 2012
- The Missourian, "Tax levy increase aids district's operating budget," March 8, 2012
- The Columbia Tribune, "Board OKs collective bargaining, ballot issues," January 9, 2012
- Boone County Clerk, April Election Results
- The Missourian, "School board puts tax levy increase, bond proposal on April ballot," January 9, 2012
- Columbia Tribune, "Chamber supports 2 tax issues for schools," March 17, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Missouri
Jefferson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor & Industrial Relations | Chairman of Public Service Commission |