Community Voters Project
|Main ACORN page|
The main purpose of the organization is to increase political involvement by to groups who have been politically marginalized, particularly African-Americans. CVP's primary means to accomplish this goal is through voter registration drives. In 2008, CVP organized voter registration drives in ten battleground states: Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin. They plan to register 350,000 minority voters for the 2008 election.
Allegations of vote fraud
Workers associated with CVP have been indicted for falsifying voter registration forms in two states. In a third state, Michigan, election officials have reported that some of the registration forms turned in are for voters who are already registered.
In Virginia CVP registered approximately 82,000 voters in 2008; In July, three paid canvassers working for the group were charged with submitting false names on voter registration forms in Hampton, Virginia.
One worker was indicted on October 15 of three counts of felony election fraud.
In Wisconsin, Endalyn Adams, a paid employee of CVP, was charged with electoral fraud after allegedly submitting 54 falsified registration forms in Milwaukee, including one for a man who died in 1992. Adams faces up to 3 1/2 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 if convicted of the felony charge.
The complaint against Adams says she "was required to obtain 15 (completed) voter registration forms a day. She could not keep her job with the CVP and she would not be paid unless she met this ‘performance standard,' which for all practical purposes is a quota."
- Community Voters Project online advertisement for project directors, 2008
- Community Voters Project on Progressive Future Education]
- "Groups working to get citizens registered"
- Community voters registers 82,000
- "Norfolk woman indicated on election fraud charges"
- Badger Herald, "ACORN unintentionally fraudulent", October 16, 2008
- "Voter registration plot more about paycheck than politics"
- "Election fraud charge filed in Milwaukee"