Connecticut Department of Education
|Connecticut Department of Education|
|FY 2014 Budget:||$3.39 billion|
|Website:||Department Home Page|
Connecticut school districts
List of school districts in Connecticut
Public education in Connecticut
School board elections portal
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
1.) Schools must provide challenging and rigorous programs of study to all students to prepare them to become fully educated, responsible citizens.
2.) Schools must be places where important and relevant learning takes place.
3.) Students must be taught in the ways that are most effective for them.
4.) Schools must link curriculum and instruction to ongoing assessment.
5.) Schools must recognize every student as a unique and contributing member of the school community.
6.) Schools must engage families and community members to be active and committed partners in the education of all children.
- Chief of Staff: Adam Goldfarb
- Chief Operating Officer: Charlene Russell-Tucker
- Chief Academic Officer: Dianna Roberge-Wentzell
- Chief Performance Officer: Vacant
- Chief Financial Officer: Kathleen Demsey
- Chief Talent Officer: Sarah Barzee (interim)
- Chief Turnaround Officer: Debra Kurshan
- Affirmative Action Director: Levy Gillespie
The Department of Education has 13 divisions managed by the officials listed below:
- Bureau of Teaching and Learning: Harriet Feldlaufer
- Bureau of Student Assessment: Vacant
- Bureau of Accountability and Improvement: Vacant
- Bureau of Educator Standards and Certification: Nancy L. Pugliese
- Bureau of Data Collection, Research and Evaluation: Ajit Gopalakrishnan
- Bureau of Special Education: Vacant
- Bureau of Health/Nutrition, Family Services & Adult Education: Vacant
- Bureau of Choice Programs: Mark Linabury
- Bureau of Grants Management: Eugene Croce
- Bureau of Fiscal Services: Bruce C. Ellefsen
- Bureau of Human Resources: Karen L. Shaw
- Bureau of Information Technology: Martin Rose
- Bureau of School Facilities: Vacant
State Board of Education
The State Board of Education is comprised of ten voting members, two non-voting student members and the Commissioner of the Department of Higher Education as a non-voting ex officio member. All 13 board members are appointed by the Governor of Connecticut, with the voting members and the Commissioner receiving four-year terms and the student representatives receiving one-year terms. According to state law, at least two of the voting members must have experience in either the manufacturing industry or a trade taught in the state's Technical High School System and at least one voting member must have experience in the agricultural industry. The State Board of Education recommends for appointment the state's Commissioner of Education to the Governor, and the Commissioner also serves as the secretary of the board. The purpose of the board is to set policies and regulations for the state's public school system.
The following chart outlines the organizational structure of the Connecticut Department of Education:
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Connecticut + Department + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Connecticut Commissioner of Education
- Connecticut school districts
- School board elections portal
- State of Connecticut Office of Policy and Management, "Education," accessed January 22, 2014
- State of Connecticut, "Employee Contact Information by Agency: Education, Dept Of," accessed January 22, 2014
- Connecticut Department of Education, "Connecticut Education Data and Research," accessed January 22, 2014
- Connecticut State Library, "Education, State Department of," accessed January 22, 2014
- Connecticut Department of Education, "Position Statement on Principles Underlying Education, Prekindergarten Through Grade 12," April 6, 2005
- Connecticut Department of Education, "Central Office Staff," accessed January 22, 2014
- Jordan Fenster, The Register Citizen, "Connecticut Board of Education approved department-wide reorganization proposed by Commissioner Pryor," January 18, 2012
- Kathleen Megan, The Hartford Courant, "State Education Board Approves Appointment of Two For High-Level Posts," November 7, 2012
- Connecticut's System for Educator Evaluation and Development, "Local or Regional Board Adoption of Evaluation and Support Plans," accessed January 22, 2014
- Connecticut Department of Education, "State Department of Education Announces Retirement of Chief Financial Officer Brian Mahoney and Appointment of Kathleen Demsey as Acting CFO," June 26, 2013
- Connecticut Department of Education, "State Board of Education Home," accessed February 20, 2014
- Connecticut Department of Education, "Organizational Strategy," January 18, 2012
State of Connecticut
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of the State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utility Control |
Connecticut Department of Education | Connecticut school districts |