Connecticut House of Representatives District 35
|Connecticut House of Representatives District 35|
|Current incumbent||Tom Vicino|
|Ethnicity||0.8% Black, 3.5% Hispanic|
|Voting age||77.5% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 23,685 civilians reside within Connecticut's thirty-fifth house of representatives district. Connecticut state legislators represent an average of 23,670 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 22,553 residents.
About the office
Members of the Connecticut House of Representatives serve two-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Connecticut legislators assume office the Wednesday following the first Monday of the January next succeeding their election.
Article III, Section 4 of the Connecticut Constitution states: The house of representatives shall consist of not less than one hundred twenty-five and not more than two hundred twenty-five members, each of whom shall be an elector residing in the assembly district from which he is elected. Each assembly district shall be contiguous as to territory and shall elect no more than one representative. For the purpose of forming assembly districts no town shall be divided except for the purpose of forming assembly districts wholly within the town.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Connecticut legislature are paid $28,000 per year. They receive no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. The Governor must call for an election no later than 10 days after the vacancy happened. All special elections must be held no later than 46 days after a Governor's declaration. If the vacancy happened with less than 125 days left before the general election, the special election must be held on the same day as the general election. No election can be called by the Governor if the vacancy happened with less than 49 days before the general election.
Elections for the office of Connecticut House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on August 12, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 10, 2014. Incumbent Tom Vicino is unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Jesse MacLachlan is unopposed in the Republican primary.
Elections for the office of Connecticut House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on August 14, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 12, 2012. A total of 151 seats were up for election in 2012. Tom Vicino defeated John Samperi (R) in the general election. Both candidates ran unopposed in the August 14 primary elections.  
|Connecticut House of Representatives, District 35, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||John A. Samperi||45.1%||5,207|
Since 2000, candidates for Connecticut House of Representatives District 35 have raised a total of $253,179. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $18,084 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Connecticut House of Representatives District 35|
- Public Mapping Project, “Connecticut 2010 Census Statistics”, October 29, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- Connecticut General Assembly, "Length of terms of Connecticut State Senators," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Connecticut General Assembly, "Connecticut General Statutes," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 9-215(a), Connecticut General Statutes)
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed July 15, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2012 General Election," October 29, 2013
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2012 General Primary," October 29, 2013