Connecticut Lieutenant Gubernatorial election, 2014
August 12, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Connecticut is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Though parties decide who may vote in their primary election, the primary is considered closed as neither the Democratic Party nor the Republican Party allow any voter but those registered with their party to vote.
|June 10||Filing deadline (Major Parties)|
|August 6||Filing deadline (Independents)|
|August 12||Primary election|
|September 3||Filing deadline (Minor Parties)|
|November 4||General election|
|December 4||Certificate of canvass completion for general election results|
|January 7, 2015||Inauguration day for state executive officials in general election|
Lost in the Republican primary
- Penny Bacchiochi - State House Republican Caucus Chair
- David Walker - Former U.S. Comptroller General, accountant
Primary election results - August 12, 2014
Incumbent Nancy Wyman was uncontested in the Democratic primary.
|Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut, Republican Primary, 2014|
|Election Results Via:Connecticut Secretary of State. Vote totals above are unofficial and reflect 100% precincts reporting.|
Incumbent Nancy Wyman (D) was first elected in 2010 and is seeking re-election in 2014 alongside current Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy. Wyman and Malloy were uncontested in their respective primaries on August 12 and will run together for the second cycle in a row in the general election. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
The outcome of the August 12 Republican primary for Connecticut Lieutenant Governor remained unknown until Wednesday afternoon after election day, when state Rep. Penny Bacchiochi conceded the tight race to Groton Town Council Member and former-Mayor Heather Somers. With 100% of precincts reporting, unofficial results provided by the Connecticut Secretary of State showed Somers edging out Bacchiochi by a razor-sharp margin of about 780 votes. Although not a factor in the suspenseful head-to-head finale, third place finisher David Walker took a respectable 32 percent of the vote, roughly 1,000 votes behind Bacchiochi.
Under Connecticut election law, an automatic recount is triggered if the margin separating the highest vote-getters falls within one-half a percentage point of the total number of ballots cast; for Somers and Bacchiochi, that meant a difference of 1,000 votes. Bacchiochi rejected the ordering of a recount, however, believing it would only waste time. Delegates of the Connecticut Republican Party voted to back Bacchiochi for lieutenant governor at their convention in May, so Somers' victory was a modest upset.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Connecticut + Lieutenant + Gubernatorial + Election"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut
- Connecticut state executive official elections, 2014
- State executive official elections, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 2, 2014
- Connecticut State Elections Enforcement Commission, "Candidate Committee Registration Statement," April 7, 2014
- Connecticut State Elections Enforcement Commission, "Candidate Registration List for Election Year 2014," accessed April 28, 2014
- Connecticut State Elections Enforcement Commission, "Candidate Committee Registration Statement," January 27, 2014
- Connecticut State Elections Enforcement Commission, "Candidate Committee Registration Statement," April 1, 2014
- Connecticut State Elections Enforcement Commission, "Candidate Committee Registration Statement," April 9, 2014
- wfsb.com, "Bacchiochi concedes GOP race for lt. governor to Somers," August 13, 2014
- The Associated Press, "Connecticut - Summary Vote Results," August 13, 2014
- NBC Connecticut, "Race results: Connecticut Primary Election," August 13, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Statement of Vote," accessed August 13, 2014
- ctpost.com, "Lieutenant governor GOP primary too close to call," August 12, 2014
- The Hartford Courant, "Lieutenant Governor Primary Still Too Close To Call," August 13, 2014
State of Connecticut
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of the State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utility Control |