Connecticut State Senate District 10
|Connecticut State Senate District 10|
|Current incumbent||Gary Holder-Winfield|
|Ethnicity||43% Black, 19.8% Hispanic|
|Voting age||76.7% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 96,843 civilians reside within Connecticut's tenth state senate district. Connecticut state senators represent an average of 99,280 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 94,599 residents.
About the office
Members of the Connecticut State Senate serve two-year terms without term limits. Connecticut legislators assume office the Wednesday following the first Monday of the January next succeeding their election.
Article III, Section 3 of the Connecticut Constitution states: The senate shall consist of not less than thirty and not more than fifty members, each of whom shall be an elector residing in the senatorial district from which he is elected. Each senatorial district shall be contiguous as to territory and shall elect no more than one senator.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Connecticut legislature are paid $28,000 per year. They receive no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. The Governor must call for an election no later than 10 days after the vacancy happened. All special elections must be held no later than 46 days after a Governor's declaration. If the vacancy happened with less than 125 days left before the general election, the special election must be held on the same day as the general election. No election can be called by the Governor if the vacancy happened with less than 49 days before the general election.
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Connecticut State Senate will consist of a primary election on August 12, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 10, 2014. Incumbent Gary Holder-Winfield is unopposed in the Democratic primary.
A special election for the position of Connecticut State Senate District 10 was called for February 25. Candidates were nominated by their party rather than chosen through a primary. The filing deadline for candidates was January 21.
|Connecticut State Senate, District 10, Special Election, 2014|
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Connecticut State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 14, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 12, 2012. A total of 36 seats were up for election in 2012. Incumbent Toni Harp ran unopposed in the August 14 Democratic primary before winning the general election without opposition. 
Since 2000, candidates for Connecticut State Senate District 10 have raised a total of $400,413. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $50,052 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Connecticut State Senate District 10|
- Public Mapping Project, “Connecticut 2010 Census Statistics”, October 29, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- Connecticut General Assembly, "Length of terms of Connecticut State Senators," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Connecticut General Assembly, "Connecticut General Statutes," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 9-215(a), Connecticut General Statutes)
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed July 15, 2014
- New Haven Register, "New Haven’s Holder-Winfield now faces West Haven’s Mullins in Senate race," January 17, 2014
- nhregister.com, "Holder-Winfield wins 10th District state Senate race," February 25, 2014
- newhavenindependent.org, "Holder-Winfield Clobbers Mullins By 3-1 Margin; “Sex Predator,” Pretend-Tax Attacks Fell Flat," February 26, 2014
- governor.ct.gov, "Gov. Malloy: Special Election For State Senator In New Haven And West Haven To Be Held February 25," January 10, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2012 General Election," October 29, 2013
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2012 General Primary," October 29, 2013