Connecticut State Senate District 18
|Connecticut State Senate District 18|
|Current incumbent||Andrew Maynard|
|Ethnicity||3.9% Black, 4.1% Hispanic|
|Voting age||78.3% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 102,472 civilians reside within Connecticut's eighteenth state senate district. Connecticut state senators represent an average of 99,280 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 94,599 residents.
About the office
Members of the Connecticut State Senate serve two-year terms without term limits. Connecticut legislators assume office the Wednesday following the first Monday of the January next succeeding their election.
Article III, Section 3 of the Connecticut Constitution states: The senate shall consist of not less than thirty and not more than fifty members, each of whom shall be an elector residing in the senatorial district from which he is elected. Each senatorial district shall be contiguous as to territory and shall elect no more than one senator.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Connecticut legislature are paid $28,000 per year. They receive no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. The Governor must call for an election no later than 10 days after the vacancy happened. All special elections must be held no later than 46 days after a Governor's declaration. If the vacancy happened with less than 125 days left before the general election, the special election must be held on the same day as the general election. No election can be called by the Governor if the vacancy happened with less than 49 days before the general election.
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Connecticut State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 12, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 10, 2014. Incumbent Andrew Maynard was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Kevin G. Trejo was unopposed in the Republican primary. Maynard defeated Trejo in the general election.
|Connecticut State Senate, District 18 General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Andrew Maynard Incumbent||58.6%||16,790|
|Republican||Kevin G. Trejo||41.4%||11,873|
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Connecticut State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 14, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 12, 2012. A total of 36 seats were up for election in 2012. Incumbent Andrew Maynard defeated Theresa Madonna (R) in the general election. Both candidates ran unopposed in the August 14 primary elections. 
|Connecticut State Senate, District 18, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Andrew Maynard Incumbent||60.8%||23,380|
Since 2000, candidates for Connecticut State Senate District 18 have raised a total of $961,248. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $64,083 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Connecticut State Senate District 18|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- Public Mapping Project, “Connecticut 2010 Census Statistics”, October 29, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- Connecticut General Assembly, "Length of terms of Connecticut State Senators," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Connecticut General Assembly, "Connecticut General Statutes," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 9-215(a), Connecticut General Statutes)
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed July 15, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official primary and general election results," accessed November 26, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2012 General Election," October 29, 2013
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2012 General Primary," October 29, 2013