Conway Public Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Faulkner County, Arkansas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Arkansas
One seat on the Board of Education for the Conway Public School District was up for election on September 17, 2013.
Conway Public Schools is a school district in Arkansas. The District operates 9 elementary schools, 2 intermediate schools, 2 middle schools, and 2 high schools. It covers a geographic area of 124 square miles. Contracted staff totals 1,130. 753 are certified, while 377 are classified. 62.3% of teachers have at least a Master's Degree. Total district enrollment is 9,432. It is the 8th largest school district in the state.
About the district
Conway outperformed the rest of the state of Arkansas in median household income and percentage of resident with a high school diploma, but underperformed when measured on the percentage of people living below the poverty level. The median household income in Conway was $44,745 compared to $40,149 for the state of Arkansas. 89.0% of Conway residents aged 25 years and older attained a high school degree compared to a 82.7% in Arkansas. The US Census also showed the poverty rate in Conway was 18.6% compared to 18.4% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 35.0% of Benton County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to a 19.6% in Arkansas.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Conway Public School Board consists of seven members elected to five-year terms. Five members of the board are elected by district, two members of the board are elected at large. General elections take place on the third Tuesday in September. There are no primary elections. At large position 5 was up for election on September 17, 2013, Position 5 is for a five year term.
At Large, Position 5
|Conway Public School District, Position 5 General Election, 5-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Adam Lamey Incumbent||79.7%||639|
|Source: http://thecabin.net/news/local/2013-09-17/lamey-wins-conway-school-board-seat#.U807E62Vk8g The Cabin, "Lamey wins Conway School Board seat," September 17, 2014]|
No endorsements were made in this election.
No candidates disclosed any campaign finance expenditures or contributions in this election.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Conway Public School District election in 2013:
|July 2, 2013||First day to file a petition of candidacy|
|July 9, 2013||Close of filing period for petition of candidacy|
|August 18, 2013||Last day to register to vote in school election|
|September 10, 2013||Absentee ballots available|
|September 17, 2013||Election Day|
What was at stake?
Dr. Adam Lamey's At large, position 5 seat on the Conway Public School Board was up for re-election on September 17, 2013. One challenger, Eleanore B. Damico filed to oppose him.
Conway School District agreed with the Arkansas Attorney General's statement condemning the River Valley School District's attempt to arm their teachers. The district issued a statement stating that arming administrators was not something the school district would be pursuing in light of the Clarksville School District plan to arm certain employees.
Additional measures on the ballot
The Conway Public Schools Election shared the ballot with a School District Millage Tax measure. "To provide for the foregoing proposed budget of expenditures, the Board of Directors proposes a total school tax rate (state and local) of 38.1 mills on the dollar of the assessed value of taxable property located in the School District."
- Arkansas school board elections to address school safety, choice
- Faulkner County, Arkansas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Arkansas
- Conway Public Schools, Arkansas
- List of school districts in Arkansas
- Arkansas school districts
- Conway Public Schools, "District Profile – 2012-2013" accessed August 8, 2013
- US Census Bureau, "Faulkner County, AR Quick Facts" accessed August 8, 2013
- "Benton County Quick Facts," accessed July 31, 2013 (dead link)
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Secretary of State, Arkansas, "2013 ANNUAL SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION DATES" accessed August 13, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Campaign Expenditure Search" accessed August 13, 2013
- [http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/elections/RegularAndServiceAreaElections/RegularElections/2013/2013NoticeMuniVacancies.pdf Fairbanks North Star Borough, "2013 MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS" accessed August 7, 2013
- The Cabin.net, "Faulkner County schools weigh options of arming administrators" accessed August 13, 2013 (dead link)
- Faulkner County, "September 17, 2013 Sample Ballot" accessed August 13, 2013