Coppell Independent School District, Texas
|Coppell Independent School District|
|Superintendent:||Jeffrey N. Turner|
|Number of schools:||15|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Anthony Hill|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Coppell Independent School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtCoppell, a city in Dallas County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Coppell is home to 40,022 residents.
Coppell outperformed the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 63.4 percent of Coppell residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Coppell was $106,887 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Coppell was 3.3 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The superintendent of Coppell Independent School District during the 2013-2014 school year was Jeffrey N. Turner. He has served in the position since his appointment in 2002. Turner served as the superintendent of Burleson Independent School District, Jacksonville Independent School District and Van Independent School District between 1991 and 2002.
The Coppell Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each board member is elected to a specific seat but represents the entire district. Trustees are not paid but receive compensation for travel expenses and conference fees associated with district business.
|Coppell Board of Trustees|
|Member||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats are up for election on May 10, 2014. Two seats will be up for election in May 2015 and three seats will be on the ballot in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation at board meetings last updated in 2006:
|“||Audience participation at a Board meeting is limited to the open forum portion of the meeting designated for public comment. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
A maximum of 12 persons shall be heard during this portion of the meeting. No presentation shall exceed five minutes. In the event that more than 12 persons wish to address the Board, delegations of more than three persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
The table below displays the budget for Coppell Independent School District School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Coppell Independent School District are categorized based on higher education achievement and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table lists salaries for district teachers during the 2013-2014 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Schools in Coppell Independent School District
Coppell Independent School District operates 15 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Coppell Independent School District|
|Austin Elementary School|
|Coppell High School|
|Coppell Middle School East|
|Coppell Middle School North|
|Coppell Middle School West|
|Cottonwood Creek Elementary School|
|Denton Creek Elementary School|
|Lakeside Elementary School|
|Mockingbird Elementary School|
|New Tech High @ Coppell|
|Pinkerton Elementary School|
|Town Center Elementary School|
|Valley Ranch Elementary School|
|Victory Place @ Coppell|
|Wilson Elementary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Coppell Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 97% of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,219||1,500||81||55|
- List of school districts in Texas
- Coppell Independent School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Coppell Independent School District
- City of Coppell, Texas
- Texas Education Agency
- Texas Association of School Boards
- Texas Education Agency, "2012-2013 Texas Academic Performance Report: Coppell ISD," accessed February 20, 2014
- Coppell Independent School District, "History of CISD," accessed February 20, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Coppell, Texas," accessed February 20, 2014
- Dallas County Elections, "Historical Election Results," accessed February 20, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Coppell Independent School District, "Superintendent," accessed February 20, 2014
- Coppell Independent School District, "Eligibility/Qualifications," September 28, 2011
- Coppell Independent School District, "Public Participation," March 6, 2006
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Coppell Independent School District, "2013-2014 Budget Book," accessed November 29, 2013
- Coppell Independent School District, "Pay Schedule - Teachers, Librarians, & Nurses - Bachelor's Degree," accessed February 20, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Coppell Independent School District, "Facilities," accessed February 20, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Accountability Summary 2013: Coppell ISD," accessed February 20, 2014