Corpus Christi, Texas
“If you don’t have people in D.C. to protect yourself, you’re going to be in trouble,” John LaRue, the port's executive director, said. “We’re not talking hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake, we’re talking about hundreds of millions.”
The lobbying activity achieved a provision in a bill, allowing the U.S. Navy to deed 500 acres of the former Naval Station Ingleside to the port for free.
The city has spent $80,000 on lobbying this year.
Corpus Christi has a poor record of responding to requests for public records in a timely manner. The City Council is in the process of evaluating how the city processes open records requests. "Having heard complaints, council members strongly suspect there's a problem."
Other reports have said the city council deliberately uses a white board in order to not have public records for the media or citizens to request. The City Attorney, Carlos Valdez, has also issued a memo that said city council members texting each other during meetings was a violation of the Texas Open Meetings Act.
|Transparency grading process|
Last rated on Jan. 12, 2012
- The website for Corpus Christi Texas includes the names and contact information of all city council members.
- City council meeting Agendas and Minutes are published.
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- The current budget is published.
- Audit is posted.
- Zoning information is available in municipal code.
- Information on contracts is posted.
- Tax information is posted.
- Building permit information is available.
- Check register is posted.
- Open records request information is only available for the police department.
- The city does have a Department of Intergovernmental Relations but it does not offer any specifics on lobbying.
- Texas Watchdog, Port of Corpus Christi spending $500,000 this year on lobbyists to D.C., Aug. 2, 2010
- The Caller, Port of Corpus Christi prospers from lobbying, Aug. 1, 2010
- Requests for public data lead to frustrating waits, Caller-Times, January 11, 2009
- Texas Watchdog, Port Corpus Christi's bid-ranking matrix eludes the public, Aug. 12, 2010
- Caller, Port panel erases its evaluation process, Aug. 9, 2010
- Texas Watchdog, Corpus Christi city attorney cautions officials against texting in meetings, Sept. 10, 2010
- City Council
- Agendas and Minutes
- Org Chart
- Financial Dept
- Municipal Code
- Property Taxes
- Check Register
- Police Department open records
- Department of Intergovernmental Relations