|Pennsylvania Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Tom Corbett|
|Preceded by:||Joan Orie Melvin|
|Past post:||Judge, Pennsylvania Superior Court|
|Undergraduate:||Pennsylvania State University|
|Law School:||Dickinson School of Law|
Correale F. Stevens is a justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. He was appointed by Governor Tom Corbett on June 15, 2013. He was confirmed by the Pennsylvania Senate soon after and was sworn in on July 30. He replaced Joan Orie Melvin for a temporary term that expires in January 2016. Stevens is running for election to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in 2015.
- See also: Pennsylvania judicial elections, 2015
Candidates competing for three open seatsPennsylvania's judicial elections include a primary on May 19, 2015, and a general election on November 3, 2015. The filing deadline for candidates was March 11, 2015. The candidates in the table below will compete in the primary election for the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
|Primary election, 2015|
|Democratic||Dwayne D. Woodruff|
|Democratic||Kevin M. Dougherty|
|Democratic||John H. Foradora|
|Democratic||David N. Wecht|
|Republican||Michael A. George|
|Republican||Cheryl Lynn Allen|
|Republican||Rebecca L. Warren|
Stevens was highly recommended by the Pennsylvania Bar Association, who said, "He has the breadth of experience and knowledge required to serve with distinction on the Supreme Court."
Stevens is a former private practice attorney and city solicitor for Hazleton, Pennsylvania. He has also served as the Luzerne County district attorney, a position to which he was elected in 1987, and as a state legislator on the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. He served four terms as a legislator. His judicial career began with his election to the Pennsylvania Superior Court in November 1997. He served there until his appointment to the supreme court in 2013. He also served as a trial judge for the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas from 2000 to 2007.
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- News: Correale Stevens nominated to Pennsylvania Supreme Court, June 21, 2013
- TribLive.com, "New justice to assume Melvin's former Supreme Court seat," July 27, 2013
- The Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania, "Justice Correale F. Stevens"
- The Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania, "Justice Correale F. Stevens," accessed August 12, 2014
- Daily Times, "Gov. Tom Corbett picks Judge Correale Stevens for Pa. high court vacancy," June 14, 2013
- Pennsylvania Courts, "Senate Confirms Judge Stevens to Supreme Court," July 1, 2013
- Trib Live, "New justice to assume Melvin’s former Supreme Court seat," July 27, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "Candidate Listing - Post Ballot Lottery," March 18, 2015
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, "Judicial Evaluation Commission Releases 2015 Judicial Ratings," accessed March 12, 2015
|Former||Ronald Castille • Ralph Cappy • Cynthia Baldwin • Jane Greenspan • William Strong • Joan Orie Melvin • Charles Alvin Jones • Seamus P. McCaffery •|