Council Bluffs Community School District, Iowa
Community School District
|Council Bluffs, Iowa|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Martha Bruckner|
|Number of schools:||17|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||David Coziahr|
About the districtCouncil Bluffs, Iowa, which is also a county seat of Pottawattamie County, Iowa. According to the 2010 US Census, Council Bluffs is home to 62,230 residents.
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Council Bluffs underperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 86.7% compared to 90.3% statewide. The average household income was $42,844 compared to $50,451 in the entire state. Council Bluffs had a poverty rate of 16.0%, while the poverty rate for Iowa was 11.9%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current superintendent of Council Bluffs Community School District is Dr. Martha Bruckner, who was appointed to her position in July 2007. She has been a teacher, assistant principal, district strategic planning coordinator, high school principal and member of the Board of Education in the Ralston (Nebraska) Public School District and holds experience as a past professor and chairperson of Educational Administration and Supervision at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Dr. Bruckner earned her Ph.D. in Curriculum, Instruction and Administration from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.
The Council Bluffs Board of Education is a seven-member board with each member elected to a four-year term. Members of the Board of Education are not compensated for their services.
|Council Bluffs Board of Education|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Each election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in September of odd-numbered years. Four seats were up for election on September 10, 2013 and four seats will be up for election in September 2015.
The table below displays the budget for Council Bluffs Community School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Schools in Council Bluffs
Council Bluffs Community School District operates 17 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Council Bluffs Community School District|
|Abraham Lincoln High School|
|Carter Lake Elementary|
|College View Elementary|
|Kanesville Alternative Learning Center|
|Kirn Middle School|
|Lewis & Clark Elementary|
|Thomas Jefferson High School|
|Walnut Grove Elementary|
|Wilson Middle School|
In 2010, the Council Bluffs Education Association was successful in stopping the District from factoring student test scores into teacher evaluations, preventing the District from competing for Federal Race to the Top funding. Negotiations stalled over pay for teachers who volunteer to work extra hours.
|Transparency grading process|
Website reviewed on Feb. 9, 2012.
- Local tax details are available in news updates and budget proposals.
- Current budget summaries are available.
- Board of Education meeting agendas and minutes are posted.
- An administrative directory is available.
- Employee union contracts are posted online.
- Financial audits are available.
- Information on how to file a public records request is provided.
- Academic information is provided by the district.
- Information regarding background checks, teacher certification, ect are found in the Employment Policies.
- Full and archived budget documents are not posted.
- The contact information Public Information Officer (including e-mail) is not provided.
- Quick Facts Accessed September 3, 2013]
- Iowa Secretary of State, “Monthly Voter Registration Totals,” Accessed September 3, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Meet the Superintendent Accessed September 3, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Board Members," accessed January 8, 2014
- Council Bluffs Community School District Independent Auditors Report" accessed September 3, 2013
- "Schools" accessed September 4, 2013
- "School districts conflicting on reform," TheHawkEye.com, May 12, 2010
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Budget," accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Agendas," accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Staff Directory," accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Union Contracts," accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Audit Report," accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Public Records Policy," accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "2011-2012 Annual Report," accessed September 6, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, "Annual Report 2010-2011," accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Employment Policies," accessed September 6, 2013