Counties in Michigan
Types of local government
Local government in Michigan consists of:
- 277 city governments
- 256 village governments
- 1240 township governments
- 83 county governments
- In addition, there are 445 special districts and 576 independent school districts.
Counties may be general law or chartered. 2 counties, Wayne and Macomb, are governed under a charter.
All 277 cities are governed under a charter. Villages have the option of adopting a charter, and 46 have done so.
Initiative process availability
An initiative process is available in:
- 2 charter counties which have a mandated initiative process.
- 46 Home-rule villages which have a mandated initiative process.
- 277 charter cities which have a mandated initiative process for charter amendments. Cities may also adopt initiative for ordinances in their charter, and many have done so.
County website evaluations
- See also: Evaluation of Michigan county websites
As of 2009:
- 29 Michigan counties posted their county budgets online.
- 57 counties included information on their websites about public government meetings.
- 70 included information about the county's elected officials.
- 56 included information about the county's administrative officials.
- 34 counties gigavee information about permits and zoning in the county.
- 27 of the counties put information on their websites about external audits.
- One county gave information about its contracts with county vendors.
- Zero county websites disclosed whether the county belonged to any government sector lobbying associations.
- Nine counties provided information on how to request public records using the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.
- 26 county websites provided some information about county taxes.
Ballotpedia evaluated ballot measure information on Michigan county websites in March 2012.
Counties without websites
As of October 2009, four of Michigan's 83 counties had no website.
- National Association of Counties Website "County Seats," accessed September 11, 2013
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
This article was taken and modified from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, under the GNU license.
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |