Counties in South Carolina
Types of local government
Local government in South Carolina consists of:
- Counties: There are 46 counties in South Carolina. The entire state is divided into counties. None have a charter.
- Municipalities: There are 270 cities and towns in South Carolina. There is not a significant legal difference between cities and towns. None have a charter.
- In addition, there are 283 special districts and 83 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
The initiative process is mandated in all South Carolina local governments.
County website evaluations
As of 2009:
- 16 South Carolina counties put their budget information on their websites.
- 32 counties included information on their websites about public government meetings.
- 40 included information about the county's elected officials.
- 34 included information about the county's administrative officials.
- 18 gave information about permits and zoning in the county.
- 18 counties put information on their websites about external audits.
- None of the counties provided information about contracts with county vendors.
- None of the county websites disclosed whether the county belonged to any government sector lobbying associations.
- Four county websites provided information on how to request public records using the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act.
- Only four county websites provided some information about county taxes.
Counties without websites
As of June 2010, only two South Carolina counties did not have a website: Lee and Marion counties.
- National Association of Counties Website, "County Seats," accessed September 12, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Governments--Individual State Descriptions," accessed October 6, 2012, pg. 352
- Municipal Association of South Carolina, "Quick facts about South Carolina hometowns," accessed October 6, 2012
- Municipal Association of South Carolina, "Forms and Powers of Municipal Government," August 2012
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
This article was taken and modified from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia under the GNU license.
State of South Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller General | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |