Counties in Vermont
Types of local government
Local government in Vermont consists of:
- Counties. Vermont is divided up into counties, which are not allowed a Charter by state law but are run according to General law.
- Towns. Towns are local governments under Counties. Some Towns are allowed Charters but most are governed according to general law.
- Villages. Villages are local governments under towns. They provide some services such as sewer, water, police and fire.
- Cities. Cities are local units of government that are independent of towns. Currently all cities in Vermont are charter cities.
In Vermont, there are 14 counties, 9 cities, 237 towns and 36 villages. All nine cities are chartered, as well as 34 towns and 25 villages.
- In addition, there are 143 special districts and 291 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
- State laws do not mention Initiative petitions for ordinances.
- The voters of all municipalities have the right to petition a referendum in order to repeal any enacted or amended ordinance.
- The voters of all municipalities have the right to petition the adoption of a charter. The voters of all chartered municipalities have the right to petition for the amendment of their charter.
- Citizens in chartered cities, villages, and towns may be granted an Initiative process for ordinances in the individual municipal charter.
Evaluation of county websites
- See also: Evaluation of Vermont county websites
|Addison County, Vermont||Middlebury, Vermont|
|Bennington County, Vermont||Bennington, Vermont and Manchester, Vermont|
|Caledonia County, Vermont||Saint Johnsbury, Vermont|
|Chittenden County, Vermont||Burlington, Vermont|
|Essex County, Vermont||Guildhall, Vermont|
|Franklin County, Vermont||Saint Albans, Vermont|
|Grand Isle County, Vermont||North Hero, Vermont|
|Lamoille County, Vermont||Hyde Park, Vermont|
|Orange County, Vermont||Chelsea, Vermont|
|Orleans County, Vermont||Newport, Vermont|
|Rutland County, Vermont||Rutland, Vermont|
|Washington County, Vermont||Montpelier, Vermont|
|Windham County, Vermont||Newfane, Vermont|
|Windsor County, Vermont||Woodstock, Vermont|
This article was taken and modified from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia under the GNU license.
State of Vermont
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Food & Markets | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Board |