Counting the Arkansas state legislative committees
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas: There are 43 total standing committees in Arkansas state government. That is the 16th most committees among the 50 states, according to a Ballotpedia study of state legislatures and their committees.
- With 135 total state legislators (35 Senators and 100 House representatives), the ratio of state legislators to committees is 3.13. That is the 19th highest ratio.
- On the 43 committees in Arkansas there are a total of 537 members -- meaning a committee's average size is 12.5 legislators. With 3.98 committees per legislator slots, Arkansas has the 14th highest ratio among the 50 states.
A standing committee was determined as being any committee that appeared to be permanent in the state. Select and special committees -- such as a one-year study commission -- were not counted in this report.
In the 50 states, Nevada has the fewest total committees with 21 while Mississippi has the most with 91. The highest ratio of legislators to committees is New Hampshire with 10.34 and the lowest being Delaware at 1.17.
- Standing committees in state legislatures during the 2011-2012 session
- Arkansas State Legislature
- Arkansas State Senate
- Arkansas House of Representatives