According to a spokesperson, it "is a multi-issue, progressive political training organization".
The Courage Campaign is an affiliate member of Progress Now.
Rick Jacobs is the founder and chair of the organization. Jacobs was the California chair of Howard Dean's presidential campaign in California. He also served as a senior adviser to Democracy for America.
Steve Hildebrand, the former deputy campaign manager for Barack Obama's presidential campaign, is an adviser to the Courage Campaign.
2012 tax initiatives
Repeal of Prop 8
- Main article: California Repeal of Proposition 8 (2010)
Since November 2008, there has been a dispute in the marriage equality movement about whether to try to repeal Proposition 8 in 2010 or 2012. In this dispute, the Courage Campaign initially came down strongly in favor of the 2010 option. Rick Jacobs said in August 2009, "I don't know why we would say no to the movement we've got now."
However, after the Courage Campaign spent $200,000 on public opinion research and focus groups to provide guidance on possible ballot language, the group announced November 30, 2009 that it is calling for "for more research and time to change hearts and minds before returning to the ballot." Jacobs, leader of the group, said they do not "see a path to victory" for 2010.
There are several different but affiliated groups under the Courage Campaign banner:
- The "Courage Campaign" is a Section 527 political action organization.
- "Courage Campaign Issues" is a 501(c)(4) organization.
- "Courage Campaign Issues Committee" is a California ballot measure committee that is registered with the California Fair Political Practices Commission.
The organization says that since March 2009, it has had 44 teams doing grassroots organizing in 23 of California's 58 counties.
The Courage Campaign says that it has these partners:
- CREDO Mobile
- Democracy for America
- California Nurses Association
- National Union of Healthcare Workers
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference of Greater Los Angeles
- ↑ Vallejo Times-Herald, "Grassroots effort seeks repeal on marriage ban", July 26, 2009
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wall Street Journal, "Gay-Marriage Bid is Delayed", August 13, 2009
- ↑ LA County Political Buzz Examiner, "Courage Campaign and affiliates push for California 'millionaires tax'", February 29, 2012
- ↑ Sacramento Bee, "Courage Campaign fires back at California Business Roundtable", March 9, 2012
- ↑ NBC Bay Area, "Occupy Movement Gets Political With Ballot Measures", December 6, 2011
- ↑ San Francisco Chronicle, "After major same sex marriage research, liberal CA org says: "We do not see a path to victory.", November 30, 2009
- ↑ San Francisco Chronicle, "Same sex marriage could still be on ballot in 2010 - big meeting in SF this weekend"
- ↑ San Francisco Chronicle, "New straw poll of gay marriage leaders: Overturn Prop 8 in 2010", July 26, 2009
|state ballot measure article is a stub. You can help people learn by expanding it.|