Courts in Indiana
|More information on Indiana's state courts:|
The courts in Indiana include the state court system and four federal courts.
The Supreme Court is the court of last resort in the state. According to the Indiana Constitution, "[t]he Supreme Court shall exercise appellate jurisdiction under such terms and conditions as specified by rules except that appeals from a judgment imposing a sentence of death shall be taken directly to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court shall have, in all appeals of criminal cases, the power to review all questions of law and to review and revise the sentence imposed."
The Court of Appeals is the intermediate appellate court in the state. It hears appeals from the state's trial courts. It also handles appeals from some state agencies, like the Worker's Compensation Board, the Department of Workforce Development and the Utility Regulatory Commission.
The Circuit Courts are trial courts of general jurisdiction in the state. There is a circuit court in each county.
The superior courts are also general jurisdiction trial courts within the state. These courts handle all trial cases and can establish small claims and minor offense divisions. Nearly all counties in Indiana have a superior court in addition to their circuit court. 
Courts of limited jurisdiction
- The Indiana Municipal Courts are created by municipalities (cities and towns) and have jurisdiction over violations of city ordinances, misdemeanors, infractions and traffic matters.
- The Tax Court mostly functions as an appellate court, but can also function as a trial court, depending on the case. The court hears appeals of decisions made by state agencies that order taxpayers to pay a certain amount in taxes.
There are four federal courts in Indiana:
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- United States bankruptcy court, Northern District of Indiana
- United States bankruptcy court, Southern District of Indiana
- Indiana Judiciary, "Supreme Court
- See the Indiana Constitution
- Indiana Judiciary, "Indiana Court of Appeals"
- Indiana Judiciary, "Trial Courts"
- Courts.IN.gov: Indiana Judiciary, "Organizational Chart of the Indiana Judicial System"
- Courts.us, "The Indiana Judiciary"
- Indiana Judiciary, "Tax Court"
- Indiana Judiciary, "Federal Court in Indiana"