Courts in Missouri
|More information on Missouri's state courts:|
The courts in Missouri include the state court system and four federal courts.
The Supreme Court is the highest court in the state. The court has exclusive jurisdiction over five types of cases:
—Missouri Supreme Court
The Court of Appeals is the intermediate appellate court and it is divided into Eastern, Western and Southern districts.
The circuit courts are the trial courts of general jurisdiction in the state. There are 115 courts; there is one in each county and one in St. Louis City. These courts are organized into 45 Judicial Circuits.
The municipal courts have original jurisdiction over municipal ordinance violations. 
Courts of limited jurisdiction
The Missouri Specialized Court Divisions focus on more personalized treatment and problem-solving for offenders in order to change their behavior. The juvenile and family courts are divisions of the circuit courts. There are also mental health courts, teen courts, truancy courts and drug courts.
There are four federal courts in Missouri. They are the:
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Western District of Missouri
- United States bankruptcy court, Eastern District of Missouri
- United States bankruptcy court, Western District of Missouri
Appeals from these courts are heard in the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
|“||When we put people in jail it costs us an extraordinary amount of money and they generally don’t get better just for being in jail. A better alternative is to save money not putting them in jail and give them the type of rehabilitation programs, drug, and alcohol treatment they need to return as productive members of society. Drug courts have shown that at a far lower cost we can have a far better result; that is less people that get in trouble again.||”|
- Missouri Courts, "Supreme Court"
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Missouri Courts, "Circuit Courts"
- Missouri Courts, "Municipal Courts"
- Missouri Courts, "Specialized Court Divisions"
- Findlaw.com, "List of U.S. Bankruptcy courts"
- KBIA.org, "Judge William Ray Price, Jr. on issues facing Mo. courts as he steps away," September 4, 2012