Cranston Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Cranston Public Schools
Providence County, Rhode Island ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Rhode Island
Seven seats on the Cranston Public Schools school committee are up for general election on November 4, 2014.
In the at-large race, incumbent Michael A. Traficante is running against Kerri Kelleher. Incumbent Jeffery K. Gale is unopposed in District 1. Newcomer Edward R. Angilly and incumbent Stephanie Giangrande Cuhlane are facing off for the District 2 seat. In District 3, Domenic F. Fusco, Jr. is running against Richard R. Tomlins. Incumbent Trent M. Colford, Sr. will be unopposed for re-election to the District 4 seat. In District 5, newcomer Jonathan J. Keith is challenging incumbent Janice Ruggieri. Newcomers Jay A. Rosenfield and Daniel R. Wall are competing for the District 6 seat.
About the district
- See also: Cranston Public Schools, Rhode Island
Providence County underperformed in comparison to the rest of Rhode Island in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 25.9 percent of Providence County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.8 percent for Rhode Island as a whole. The median household income in Providence County was $49,213 compared to $56,102 for the state of Rhode Island. The poverty rate in Providence County was 16.5 percent compared to 13.2 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Cranston school committee consists of seven members elected by geographic electoral districts to two-year terms. There is no primary election, and the general election will be held on November 4, 2014. Seven seats are on the ballot in 2014.
The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was June 25, 2014.
- Jeffery K. Gale
- Trent M. Colford, Sr.
As of September 3, 2014, no candidate had received any official endorsements in this election.
As of September 3, 2014, no candidate had filed a campaign finance report with the Rhode Island Board of Elections.
The following dates are key deadlines for the Cranston Public Schools election in 2014:
|June 23, 2014||Candidate filing begins|
|June 25, 2014||Candidate filing ends|
|October 5, 2014||Voter registration ends|
|November 4, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
In addition to the school committee election, residents of Cranston will vote in races for Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Rhode Island Secretary of State, Rhode Island Attorney General, U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representative, Rhode Island State Senate, Rhode Island House of Representatives, State Committeeman, State Committeewoman, Cranston City Council and Cranston Ward Committee.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Cranston + Public + Schools + Rhode + Island"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rhode Island
- Cranston Public Schools, Rhode Island
- Rhode Island school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Providence County, Rhode Island ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Rhode Island
- United States Census Bureau, "Providence County, Rhode Island," accessed September 3, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 18, 2014
- Rhode Island State Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Cranston Public Schools, "School Committee," accessed September 3, 2014
- Cranston City Elections, "Rhode Island Election Calendar," accessed September 3, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "Campaign Finance," accessed September 3, 2014
- City of Cranston, "Cranston Elections," accessed September 4, 2014
|2014 Cranston Public Schools Elections|
|Providence County, Rhode Island|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: Incumbent, Michael Traficante • Kerri Kelleher|
District 1:Incumbent, Jeffery Gale
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|