Cynthia Dianne Steel
|Cynthia Dianne Steel|
|Nevada Eighth Judicial District Court|
|Undergraduate:||Valdosta State College, 1977|
|Law School:||California Western School of Law, 1990|
|Candidate for:||Eighth District Court|
|Position:||Family Division, Dept. G|
|Election information 2014:|
Cynthia Dianne Steel is a family judge for the Eighth Judicial District Court in Nevada. She joined the court on January 6, 1997. She ran unopposed for re-election in 2014, winning a term that expires in January 2021.
- See also: Nevada judicial elections, 2014
| Steel ran for re-election to the Eighth Judicial District Court.
Primary: She was elected without opposition in the primary on June 10, 2014.
|Candidate||Incumbent||Seat||Primary %||Election %|
|Michael Douglas||Yes||Seat F||37%||48.3%|
|Cynthia Dianne Steel||No||Seat F||32.9%||36.2%|
|"None of these candidates"||Seat F||14.6%||15.3%|
|John Calvert||Seat F||15.3%|
- 1997-2021: Judge, Eighth Judicial District Court
- 1999: Family Court legislative representative
- 1998-1999: President judge pro tem
Awards and associations
- 2001-2002: President, Nevada District Judges Association
- 2000-2001: Vice president, Nevada District Judges Association
- 2001-2002: Member, State Judicial Council
- 1998-Present: President, Eighth Judicial District Court Pro Bono Foundation
- 1997-Present: Clark County Bench Bar Committee
- 1997-Present: Family Law Section Executive Council, Nevada State Bar
- 1997-1998: Board of Trustees, Clark County Law Library
2010 judicial performance evaluation
The Las Vegas Review‐Journal performed a survey of attorneys with first-hand knowledge of state judges in 2010. Of 796 survey respondents, 58 percent said that they would not recommend Judge Steel for retention to the court.
2013 judicial performance evaluation
In 2013, the Las Vegas Review-Journal sponsored a survey of 902 lawyers who rated Nevada Supreme Court justices and judges located in Clark County. 65 percent of respondents voted in favor of keeping Steel on the bench. The average vote in favor of retention for all 88 judges evaluated was 71 percent.
- Clark County Courts, "C. Dianne Steel," accessed April 2, 2015
- Clark County Courts, "Cynthia Dianne Steel biography," accessed April 2, 2015
- Clark County Nevada, "Election: Candidate Filing in Clark County," accessed February 13, 2014 Select "Election Year: 2014"
- Silver State Election Night Results, "2014 Primary Election Results - Judicial," accessed June 11, 2014
- Las Vegas Review‐Journal, "Lawyers give poor scores to nine judges," May 10, 2010
- Las Vegas Review Journal, "2013 Judicial Performance Evaluation," accessed September 23, 2014