Georgia House District 113
Matthews is a legal secretary and former chairman of the Oconee County Democratic Party. He is host of the Dan Matthews radio show. In addition, Matthews has worked as an online journalist and blogger. He has also chaired a Democratic campaign and worked in the Oconee County government.
Matthews' Facebook campaign site emphasizes several campaign themes and policy proposals:
- "Promote agriculture"
- "Improve immigration laws"
- "Promote tourism"
- "Promote economic development"
- "Establish no new taxes"
- "Promote stringent banking laws which stop predatory lending and lending projects more than 100 miles away"
- "Promote stiffer penalties for banks what do not follow the rules of the FDIC"
- "Strive for better schools"
- "Include income means test to decide HOPE Scholarship"
- "Lower the GPA requirements for HOPE Scholarship"
- "Increase water availability"
- "Protect the environment"
- "Promote recreational parks"
- "Require recycling"
- "Allow no sweetheart deals for Delta"
- "Establish a public/private partnership to make Hwy. 316 safer"
- "Slash government spending"
- "Reduce by 5% the pay for state employees making more than $100,000 annually"
- "Sell wasteful state projects such as the fishing center in Perry, GA"
- "Demand adherence to specific ethical standards in government"
The special election for State House District 113 took place in Oconee County and portions of Clarke, Morgan and Oglethorpe counties. The election was a nonpartisan special election with an open primary. Matthews and Charles Williams (R) were the top two vote-getters in the primary. Williams defeated Matthews in the July 19 runoff election.
- Republican Candidates:
1081 Katie Lane
Watkinsville, GA 30677
- "Oconee Democrat," Candidate Blog
- "Vote for Dan Matthews," Campaign Facebook page
- Athens Patch, "Community-Oriented Matthews Hopes to Represent 'Mainstream'," June 1, 2011 (Candidate Profile)
- OnlineAthens, Rep. Huckaby resigns Georgia House, April 29, 2011
- AthensPatch, "Community-Oriented Matthews Hopes to Represent 'Mainstream'," June 1, 2011
- Candidate Facebook, "Info"
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Unofficial Results of the Tuesday, June 21, 2011 Special Election," Accessed June 22, 2011
- Secretary of State News, Secretary Kemp Announces the Close of Qualifying for the Special Election in State House District 113, May 18, 2011
- Online Athens, "Williams wins House 113 runoff," July 19, 2011
State of Georgia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | State Superintendent of Schools | Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |