|Washington State Senate District 20|
|1995 - 2013|
|Minority Caucus Vice Chair, Washington State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Associate's||Tacoma Community College|
|Bachelor's||The Evergreen State College, 1973|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1966-1969|
|Date of birth||February 28, 1947|
|Place of birth||Bozeman, MT|
Swecker attended the University of Washington. He went on to earn his AA from Tacoma Community College. He then received his B.A. in Cooperative Education from The Evergreen State College in 1973.
Swecker worked as a warrant officer in the United States Army from 1966 to 1969. He then worked as owner and operator of Swecker Salmon Farm. He has also worked as secretary and treasurer of Washington Fish Growers Association.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Swecker served on the following committees:
- Government Operations, Tribal Relations & Elections Committee, Washington State Senate, Ranking Minority Member
- Natural Resources & Marine Waters Committee, Washington State Senate
- Transportation Committee, Washington State Senate
- See also: Washington State Senate elections, 2012
Swecker ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Washington State Senate District 20. Swecker advanced past the blanket primary on August 7, 2012 and was defeated by John E. Braun (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Washington State Senate, District 20, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Dan Swecker Incumbent||44.6%||24,075|
|Washington State Senate, District 20 Blanket Primary, 2012|
|Republican||John E. Braun||40.3%||9,327|
On November 4, 2008, Swecker was re-elected for the Twentieth District of the Washington State Senate receiving 39,650 votes.
Swecker raised $116,812 for his campaign.
|Washington State Senate, District 20 (2008)|
|Dan Swecker (R)||39,650|
|Chuck Bojarski (D)||22,428|
In 2008, Swecker collected $116,812 in donations.
Listed below are the top four contributors to his campaign.
|Tulalip Tribes of Washington||$1,600|
|Washington Bankers Association||$1,600|
|Washington Restaurant Association||$1,600|
|Chehalis Indian Tribe||$1,600|
Swecker and his wife live in Rochester and have four children and two grandchildren. Swecker lives in Rochester, WA.
- See also: Freedom Foundation's Big Spender List
The Freedom Foundation releases its Big Spender List annually. The Institute ranks all Washington legislators based on their total proposed tax and fee increases. To find each legislator’s total, the Institute adds up the 10-year tax increases or decreases, as estimated by Washington’s Office of Financial Management, of all bills sponsored or co-sponsored by that legislator.
Swecker proposed a 10-year increase in state taxes and fees of $322.5 million, the 14th highest amount of proposed new taxes and fees of the 46 Washington state senators on the Freedom Foundation’s 2012 Big Spender List.
The Freedom Foundation also issued its 2012 Informed Voter Guide for Washington State voters, including a legislative score card documenting how Washington State legislators voted upon bills the Foundation deemed important legislation. The legislation analyzed covered budget, taxation, and pension issues. A sign indicates a bill more in line with the Foundation's stated goals, and a sign indicates a bill out of step with the Foundation's values. Here's how Swecker voted on the specific pieces of legislation:
|2012 Senate Scorecard - Dan Swecker|
|Bill #6636 (Balanced budget requirement)||Bill #5967 (Senate Republicans budget)||Bill #6582 (Local transportation tax increases)||Bill #6378 (Pension reforms)|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Dan + Swecker + Washington + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Dan Swecker Campaign Website
- Dan Swecker for State Senate Facebook Page
- Legislative profile of Swecker on Project Vote Smart
- Biographical profile of Swecker on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2000, 1996
- 20th District map
- Washington Votes profile for Swecker
- Swecker bio from Washington SRC website
- Project Vote Smart - Sen. Swecker
- Washington Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed July 16, 2012
- Washington Secretary of State, "August 07, 2012 Primary Results - Legislative - All Results," accessed August 15, 2012
- Follow the Money's report on Swecker's 2008 campaign contributions
- 2008 contributors to Dan Swecker
- Project VoteSmart, "Senator Dan P. Swecker," accessed July 30, 2012
- Freedom Foundation's 2012 Big Spender List
- Freedom Foundation's 2012 list of Washington state senators by proposed new taxes and fees
- My Freedom Foundation, "Home," accessed June 18, 2014
|Washington State Senate District 20
| Succeeded by|
John E. Braun (R)