|California State Senate District 1|
|2004-July 13, 2010|
|California State Assembly|
Cox previously served as a member of the California State Assembly, where he represented the 5th District from 1998 to 2004 and was the Assembly Republican Leader from 2000 to 2004. He also served on the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors and on the Sacramento Municipal Utility District board.
In 2008 Cox was re-elected to the California State Senate, District 1. He finished with 267,426 votes while his opponent Anselmo Chavez finished with 162,044 votes. Cox raised $416,453 for his campaign fund.
|California State Senate, District 1|
|Dave Cox (R)||267,426|
|Anselmo Chavez (D)||162,044|
In 2008, Cox raised $416,453 in campaign donations. Listed below are his top five contributors.
|California Association of Health Underwriters||$7,200|
|Physicians for the Group Practice of Medicine||$6,200|
|California Correctional Peace Officers Association||$6,200|
|A. Teichert & Son||$6,200|
Capitol Weekly, California's major weekly periodical covering the state legislature, publishes an annual legislative scorecard. The publication's editors say that the point of the scorecard is to pin down the political or ideological leanings of every member of the legislature passed on how they voted on an assortment of bills in the most recent legislative session. They say, "Terms like 'liberal' and 'conservative' are crude political shorthand, but we think the results give a pretty fair representation of the ideological makeup of the Assembly and Senate." The 2009 scores were passed on votes on 19 bills.
On Capitol Weekly's scorecard, "100" is a perfect liberal score and "0" is a perfect conservative score. On the 2009 legislative scorecard, Dave Cox ranked as a 17.
Senator Cox on crime prevention
Fined over gift disclosure
In February 2010 Cox agreed to pay a fine of $400 for failing to disclose gifts from interest groups. Thirty other California lawmakers agreed to pay fines as well.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Dave + Cox + California + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate
- California Senate Committees
- California state legislative districts
- Dave Cox's campaign website
- Official website of State Senator Dave Cox
- Legislative profile of Dave Cox on Project Vote Smart
- Biographical profile of Dave Cox on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions in: 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998.
- California Votes profile on Dave Cox
- Lodi News Sentinel, "Dave Cox, Galt representative, dies at 72 after battling cancer," July 14, 2010
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2008 General election results," accessed March 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 Campaign funds," accessed December 8, 2014
- Capitol Weekly, "Capitol Weekly's Legislative Scorecard," December 17, 2009
- Capitol Weekly, "2009 Capitol Weekly State Legislative Scorecard (Archived)," accessed March 13, 2014
|California State Senate District 1
| Succeeded by|
Ted Gaines (R)