|California Commissioner of Insurance|
|January 3, 2011 - Present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Predecessor||Steve Poizner (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|California State Assembly|
|2004 - 2010|
|Sacramento City Council|
|J.D.||Harvard Law School|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Personal
- 6 Recent news
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Previously, Jones worked as a legal aid attorney with Legal Services of Northern California, a non-profit, public interest law firm serving low-income residents in 22 California counties. He was also a special assistant and counsel to U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno during President Bill Clinton's administration. He holds degrees from DePauw University, Harvard Law School and the Kennedy School of Government.
He is a member of the Sacramento Metropolitan Cable Commission, Sacramento Regional Sanitation District, Sacramento Solid Waste Authority, and Sacramento Transportation Authority.
- DePauw University
- Kennedy School of Government
- J.D. Harvard Law School
California Insurance Commissioner (2011-present)
Jones was first elected California Commissioner of Insurance in November 2010 and took office on January 3, 2011. He will come up for re-election, if he chooses to run, in November 2014, and his term will end on January 5, 2015.
California State Assembly (2004-2010)
Previously Jones was a member of the California State Assembly, representing the 9th District from 2004 to 2010.
Jones did not provide answers to the California State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Capitol Weekly, California's major weekly periodical covering the state legislature, publishes an annual legislative scorecard to pin down the political or ideological leanings of every member of the legislature based on how they voted on an assortment of bills in the most recent legislative session. The 2009 scores were based on votes on 19 bills, but did not include how legislators voted on the Proposition 1A (2009). On the scorecard, "100" is a perfect liberal score and "0" is a perfect conservative score.
On the 2009 Capitol Weekly legislative scorecard, Jones ranked as a 94.
Jones served on the following committees during his time in the Assembly:
- Accountability and Administrative Review Committee, California General Assembly
- Health Committee, California General Assembly (Chair)
- Judiciary Committee, California General Assembly
- Select Committee on Youth Violence Prevention
Jones's sponsored legislation included:
- AB 1011 - Insurance: green incentives
- AB 1218 - Health care coverage: rate approval
- AB 1543 - Medicare supplement coverage
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Sacramento City Council (1999-2004)
Jones served on the Sacramento City Council from 1999-2004.
Jones is running for California Commissioner of Insurance in the 2014 elections. He is seeking nomination in the top-two primary election on June 3, 2014. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
Jones was ineligible to run for re-election in 2010 due to the term limits of the California State Assembly. Instead he ran for, and won, election as the California Commissioner of Insurance in the November 2, 2010 election.
In 2008 Jones was re-elected to the California State Assembly District 9. Jones (D) finished with 92,038 votes and was followed by Mali Currington (R) with 26,622 votes and Gerald Frink (P&F) with 7,744 votes. Jones raised $1,702,494 for his campaign fund.
|California State Assembly District 9|
|Dave Jones (D)||92,038|
|Mali Currington (R)||26,622|
|Gerald Frink (P&F)||7,744|
Comprehensive donor information for Jones is available dating back to 2004. Based on available campaign finance records, Jones raised a total of $7,995,971 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 8, 2013.
2006, 2008, 2010
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Dave Jones's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Dave Jones's Campaign Contributions|
California Insurance Commissioner
California Assembly District 9
California Assembly District 9
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$1,208,075 (Republican)||$200 (Republican)||$0 (Republican)|
|Top 5 contributors||California Democratic Party||$218,049||AFSCME California||$14,400||California State Council of Service Employees||$13,400|
|Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 447||$32,840||California Teachers Association||$14,400||California Teachers Association||$13,400|
|California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee||$$31,900||Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 467||$14,400||California Medical Association||$11,000|
|AFSCME California||$25,800||California Dental Association||$14,400||AT&T||$10,300|
|Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 467||$25,800||Service Employees Local 1000||$14,400||Service Employees Local 1000||$10,000|
Jones and his wife, Kim, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Dave + Jones + California + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Dave Jones' 2010 campaign website
- California Department of Insurance official website
- Biographical profile of Dave Jones on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004
- California Department of Insurance, "About the Commissioner," accessed June 29, 2011.
- The Sacramento Bee, "California's insurance commissioner seeks re-election, more power," December 22, 2013
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Jones
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Jones Issue Positions
- Capitol Weekly, "Capitol Weekly's Legislative Scorecard", December 17, 2009
- Fox and Hounds Daily, "Random Thoughts on the Political Scene", December 18, 2009
- Capitol Weekly", Downloadable 2009 Capitol Weekly State Legislative Scorecard
- California Secretary of State, "November 2, 2010 General Election Results," accessed March 12, 2011
- California State Assembly election results
- Campaign funds
- Follow the Money, "Career financing for Dave Jones," accessed July 8, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
|California State Assembly District 9
| Succeeded by|
Steve Poizner (R)
|California Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|