|Running for Governor of Minnesota|
|Date of primary||August 12, 2014|
|Minnesota State Senate, District 58|
|2011 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Assistant Minority Leader, Minnesota State Senate|
|2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||University of North Dakota|
|J.D.||University of Minnesota|
|Birthday||October 2, 1961|
On June 26, 2013, Thompson announced his bid for Governor of Minnesota. He is running for the Republican nomination in the primary election on August 12, 2014, and hopes to unseat current Democratic incumbent Mark Dayton, who is running for re-election in 2014. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
Thompson earned his bachelor's degree in Economics and Political Science from the University of North Dakota, and his law degree from the University Of Minnesota Law School in 1987. His professional experience includes working as an attorney, focusing his practice on small business work, contracts, estate planning and litigation. Thompson also has experience on radio and TV, hosting The Dave Thompson Show for seven and a half years, and participating in a debate segment on At Issue with Tom Hauser, an Emmy Award winning news program.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Thompson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• State and Local Government|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Thompson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Commerce and Consumer Protection|
|• Judiciary and Public Safety|
|• State Government Innovation and Veterans|
Thompson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Jobs and Business
- Excerpt: "Like everyone, I am concerned about high unemployment and the pressure this puts on families. Good jobs are provided by thriving businesses."
- Excerpt: "Taxes are a necessary evil. The revenues are used to fund public goods. However, taxes are a drag on the economy. Therefore taxes should be as low as possible, and tax laws should be straightforward and easy to understand."
- Excerpt: "I am and always have been staunchly pro life. Society must protect its most vulnerable members. It is horrifying to think of the number of people who have been killed in the name of privacy rights. I believe in the traditional definition of family."
- Excerpt: "Education policy should be set at the local level. Parents, family members, friends and neighbors are in the best position to determine what is best for their children. I am a strong supporter of home schooling and private education as well."
- See also: Minnesota gubernatorial election, 2014
Thompson is running for election as Governor of Minnesota. Thompson is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary election on August 12, 2013. Thompson would be running as a challenger to incumbent Gov. Mark Dayton, a Democrat first elected in 2010. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
|Minnesota State Senate, District 58, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Dave Thompson Incumbent||57.7%||24,097|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2010
|Minnesota State Senate, District 36 (2010)|
|Dave Thompson (R)||23426||63.05%|
|Steve Quist (DFL)||13686||36.84%|
Comprehensive donor information for Thompson is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Thompson raised a total of $73,016 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 28, 2013.
|Dave Thompson's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State Senate, District 36||$31,817|
|2010||Minnesota State Senate, District 36||$41,199|
|Grand Total Raised||$73,016|
2012Thompson won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Thompson raised a total of $31,817.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Dave Thompson's campaign in 2012|
|Chaz Johnson Volunteer Committee||$1,000|
|Minnesota Oncology Hematology||$750|
|Total Raised in 2012||$31,817|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Thompson won election to the Minnesota State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Thompson raised a total of $41,199.
|Minnesota State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Dave Thompson's campaign in 2010|
|Senate District 36 Republican Party Of Minnesota||$3,000|
|Pariseau For Senate Committee||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$41,199|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score." 
Thompson and his wife, Rhonda, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Dave + Thompson + Minnesota + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Vikings stadium groundbreaking: Upbeat politicians, downbeat politicos - MinnPost.com
- Vikings, Minnesota leaders break ground for new stadium - Pioneer Press
- Vikings stadium funding draws ire of conservative groups on groundbreaking day - Pioneer Press
- Minnesota Sex Offender Dispute Gets Political - KSTP.com
- Ingebritsen endorses Seifert for governor - Pioneer Press (blog)
- Seifert makes campaign stop - Fairmont Sentinel
- Marty 2.0: Seifert joins governor's race - Politics in Minnesota
- Zellers releases (some of) his tax information - Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Republicans say Legislature alone can't deal with key insurance complaint - MinnPost.com
- Latest batch of tax returns for Minn. governor hopefuls shows Honour made ... - The Republic
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Facebook profile
- ↑ TwinCities.com, "Dave Thompson's run for Minnesota governor formally announced," June 26, 2013
- ↑ "davethompsonforsenate," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Minnesota Post, "State Sen. Dave Thompson supports Santorum," February 7, 2012
- ↑ Sun This Week, "Lakeville Sen. Dave Thompson considers run for governor," March 19, 2013
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 22, 2012
- ↑ Secretary of State Official general election results
- ↑ Follow the Money, "Thompson, Dave." Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed September 27, 2013
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed September 27, 2013
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed September 27, 2013
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed September 27, 2013
Linda Higgins (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 58
| Succeeded by|
Patricia Pariseau (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 36
| Succeeded by|
John Hoffman (R)