Dave Walker recall, Palisade, Colorado (2010)
Roger Granat was elected to the seat made vacant by the recall of Walker.
Walker was first elected to the Palisade Town Board in 2004. In 2007, he was appointed mayor and in 2008, he was elected to the position of mayor.
Wayne Reid, Joyce Eielson, and Jeff Meade launched the recall effort. Their motivation for wanting to remove Walker as Mayor of Palisade rested on the allegation that Walker threatened to close The Livery Saloon and tried to prevent Reid from being elected to a position as a town trustee.
The recall petition stated, in part, "....the Mayor has not acted in our best interests, that he continues to flaunt his power as Mayor in an attempt to intimidate others, and that he has not acted in a manner consistent with the values of the Town of Palisade which he purports to represent."
Recall organizer Reid said he didn't like Walker's priorities as mayor: "You can look around and see all cracks in the roads and the potholes filled. It's falling apart and he's out building new parks."
Walker said that the recall committee wanted to take control of the town and that were are mad at him because they were unable to stop the reconstruction of Kluge Avenue and the opening of a downtown pedestrian plaza.
Palisade has a population of about 2,600.
Brain damage alleged
In remarks about the recall at a June 8 town meeting, Walker used the phrase "brain-damaged candidate" to refer to recall organizer Reid. Walker also said at the meeting that the recall organizers were "low-life Livery drunks" and "I am not going to bend over for this."
Path to the ballot
To force a recall election, 103 signatures had to be collected within 60 days of the time the effort began. On July 22, 2010, the town clerk received the recall petition. The town board scheduled the question of recall for the general election.
The following individuals were on the ballot as replacement candidates:
- Paul “Joseph” Brown
- Roger Granat
- Patty Hanna
- Johnny Nichols
- Recall campaigns in Colorado
- Political recall efforts, 2010
- Mayoral recalls
- Laws governing recall in Colorado
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Grand Junction Sentinel, "Trio wants mayor out in Palisade", June 10, 2010
- ↑ KREX-TV, "Meet Palisade's Soon-to-Be New Mayor", November 3, 2010
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 KJCT 8, "Palisade Mayor may face recall election", June 11, 2010
- ↑ KKCO 11, "Petition to recall Palisade Mayor received by Town Clerk ", June 23, 2010
- ↑ KKCO 11, "DECISION 2010: Town of Palisade Referred Measure 2D, Recall of Mayor Dave Walker", October 8, 2010