David Anderson (South Dakota)
|South Dakota House District 16|
|May 13, 2013 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Appointed||May 13, 2013|
|Appointed by||Dennis Daugaard|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|High school||Canton High School|
|Bachelor's||South Dakota State University|
|Profession||Insurance businessman and farmer|
Anderson earned his B.S. in Agricultural Business from South Dakota State University. His professional experience includes owning Canton Insurance Agency, serving as President of the Farm Mutual Insurance Company of Lincoln County and Chairman of the Board of National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies in 2001 and 2002. He is the fifth generation farmer in his family, working on the same land that previous generations did near Hudson. He is also a volunteer firefighter and the son of Larry Anderson, who served as state representative from the same region from 1971 to 1981.
Elections for the office of South Dakota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Jim Fedderson and Brian Shanks were unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbents David Anderson and Jim Bolin defeated Kevin D. Jensen in the Republican primary. Fedderson and Shanks withdrew after the primary. Anderson and Bolin are unopposed in the general election.
|South Dakota House of Representatives, District 16 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Jim Bolin Incumbent||42.1%||1,329|
|David Anderson Incumbent||33.2%||1,049|
|Kevin D. Jensen||24.7%||778|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.
Anderson has a wife, Karen, and two children. He is a member of Lands Lutheran Church.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "David + Anderson + South + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota House of Representatives
- South Dakota House Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota House of Representatives District 16
- Profile from the South Dakota House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Announcement of appointment to House
- South Dakota State News, "Governor Daugaard Names Anderson To Vacant District 16 House Seat," May 13, 2013
- KSFY, "South Dakota State Rep. Patty Miller resigns; Gov. to appoint new representative," March 27, 2013
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," May 2, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election Unofficial Results," accessed June 3, 2014
Patty Miller (R)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 16
May 13, 2013-present
| Succeeded by|