|Mississippi State Senate, District 29|
|2008 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 6, 2007|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Date of birth||July 19, 1967|
Blount attended both the University of Virginia and Davidson College. His professional experience includes working as Communications Director for the Mississippi Secretary of State's Office.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Blount served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Public Property, Chair|
|• Elections, Vice Chair|
|• Accountability, Efficiency, Transparency|
|• Congressional Redistricting|
|• Judiciary, Division B|
|• Legislative Reapportionment|
|• Public Health and Welfare|
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Blount served on these committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Drug Policy|
|• Fees, Salaries and Administration|
|• Judiciary, Division B|
|• Public Utilities|
- See also: Mississippi State Senate elections, 2011
Blount won re-election to the Mississippi Senate District 29. He ran unopposed in the primary on August 2, 2011. Steve Stanford defeated Gerald Kucia in the Republican primary. Blount defeated Stanford in the general election on November 8, 2011.
|Mississippi State Senate, District 29 General Election, 2011|
|Democratic||David Blount Incumbent||69.3%||14,126|
- See also: Mississippi State Senate elections, 2007
David Blount raised $207,221 for his campaign.
|Mississippi Senate, District 29|
|David Blount (D)||9,567||58%|
|Richard White (W)||6,924||42%|
In 2011, Blount received $169,407 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to David Blount's campaign in 2011|
|Molpus, Dick & Sally||$5,000|
|Blount, Dr & Mrs Richard & Martha||$5,000|
|Mississippi Hospital Association||$5,000|
|Barksdale, James L||$4,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$169,407|
|Total Votes received in 2011||14,126|
|Cost of each vote received||$11.99|
In 2009 David Blount collected $33,595 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2009 were:
|Mississippi Independent Pharmacies Association||$1,000|
|Mississippi Power Co.||$1,000|
|James Ashley Ogden||$1,000|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Blount and his wife, Katherine, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term David + Blount + Mississippi + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile on Project Vote Smart
- Biography on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2009, 2007
- Mississippi Department of State, 2011 Official State Senate Candidate List
- Mississippi State Senate official election results for 2007
- Follow the Money's report on Blount's 2007 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "2011 Campaign Contributions," accessed May 15, 2014
- 2009 contributors to David Blount
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi State Senate District 29
| Succeeded by|