|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 71|
|November 4, 2014 - present|
|November 6, 2018|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
Byrd's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
Common Core Standards
- Excerpt: "Curriculum standards should be adopted by state and local districts and not from Washington, D.C. These standards were never tested or piloted and were never approved by Congress, State Legislators, or Local Boards of Education."
- Excerpt: "Local Boards of Education should decide on what subjects and grades need to be tested. Our students are being tested to death, and teachers are so frustrated because all they have time to do is teach to the test and fill out endless paperwork."
- Excerpt: "If a GED is supposed to be equivalent to a high school diploma and is recognized by colleges and business as such, why does its completion not count toward our graduation rates?"
Graduation Rate Fairness
- Excerpt: "We are mandated to attend to students with Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome and other severe handicaps. These students do not receive a regular high school diploma. Yet, their failure to achieve this diploma is counted as if they were enrolled but did not graduate. "
- Excerpt: "District 71 is desperate for a State Representative who will make job creation a top priority!"
Elections for 99 seats in the Tennessee House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 7, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 3, 2014. Incumbent Vance Dennis was defeated by David Byrd in the Republican primary. Byrd was unopposed in the general election.
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 71 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Vance Dennis Incumbent||46.7%||5,078|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "David + Byrd + Tennessee + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tennessee General Assembly
- Tennessee House of Representatives District 71
- Tennessee House of Representatives
- Tennessee House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Tennessee General Assembly - Representative David Byrd
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |