David Smith (Arizona)
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 15|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||Four consecutive terms|
|Arizona State House, District 7|
|January 10, 2011-2013|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Smith served on these committees:
- Banking and Insurance Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
- Judiciary Committee, Arizona House of Representatives, Vice Chair
- Military Affairs and Public Safety Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
Smith's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "I will Stand for the conservative issues of Ronald Reagan which include limited government, lower taxes, and giving more power to the people."
- Excerpt: "We have over 11 million illegals in America today and more are coming. The Federal Government is trampling on the ability of Arizona to govern within our borders. I will support strong and secure borders, enforcement of E-verify, requirements to show approved identification when registering to vote or voting. I will continue to oppose amnesty."
- Excerpt: "The recent passage of Medicaid Expansion will cost Arizona citizens billions of dollars and cause a major deficit in the state budget. I oppose the strong arm tactics used to pass HB2010 and I support the efforts of the United Republican Alliance of Principled Conservatives to give a choice to Arizona voters by placing Medicaid Expansion on the 2014 ballot."
- Excerpt: "Arizona has the highest sales tax burden in the country and ranks 28th in corporation income tax. Both of these stifle Arizona’s economic growth. I will work toward reducing both taxes and a reduction or elimination of state income tax over the next ten years."
School District Taxes
- Excerpt: "A representative in District 15 sponsored a bill that passed allowing school districts to doubly their bonding ability. This increases property taxes and harms all citizens but especially those on fixed incomes. I will work to repeal this law."
Elections for the office of Arizona House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 26, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 28, 2014. Incumbents John Allen and Heather Carter defeated David Burnell Smith in the Republican primary and are unchallenged in the general election.
Smith ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Arizona House of Representatives District 15. He was defeated by John Allen and incumbent Heather Carter in the Republican primary on August 28, 2012.
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 15 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Heather Carter Incumbent||39.6%||13,196|
|David Smith Incumbent||22.2%||7,397|
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 7 General Election (2010)|
|Heather Carter (R)||37,254|
|David Smith (R)||34,007|
|Don Chilton (D)||18,897|
|Peter Royers (D)||16,560|
|Jim Iannuzo (L)||4,395|
In 2010, Smith raised $43,823 in contributions.
He contributed the most money to his campaign, $34,557.
The Goldwater Institute releases its "Legislative Report Card" annually for all Arizona legislators. This report card tracks how legislators voted on key votes and assigns them a letter grade based on how closely their votes agree with the Institute's positions. The primary values emphasized in the ratings are whether votes expand or restrict liberty.
Smith received a score of 69 out of 100 in the 2012 report card for a grade of B+ according to the Goldwater Institute’s grading scale. This score was 1 lower than his score on the 2011 report card. Smith’s 70 in 2012 was tied for the 7th highest grade among all 60 Arizona State Representatives.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "David + Smith + Arizona + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arizona State Legislature
- Arizona state legislative districts
- Arizona House of Representatives
- Arizona House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Official campaign website
- David Smith on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Elect David Burnell Smith, "Conservative Solutions," July 30, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed August 27, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election," May 27, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State - Primary candidate list, accessed December 11, 2013
- Primary results, accessed December 11, 2013
- General election results, accessed December 11, 2013
- 2010 contributions, accessed December 11, 2013
- Goldwater Institute, "2012 Legislative Report Card for Arizona's 50th Legislature, First Regular Session," August 15, 2012
- Mitt Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Support of Additional Arizona Elected Officials," February 2, 2012
|Arizona House, District 7
| Succeeded by|