|Alabama House of Representatives, District 34|
|December 12, 2012 - Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||December 11, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Probate Judge and Commission Chairman of Blount County|
|Blount County School Board|
|High school||Hayden High School|
|Bachelor's||Athens State University|
|Associate's||Wallace State College|
Standridge earned his A.A. in Criminal Justice from Wallace State College. He earned his undergraduate degree in Justice Studies from Athens State University and attended the FBI National Academy and Montgomery Police Academy. He served as probate judge and commission chairman of Blount County and is a retired captain in the Blount County Sheriff's Department.
Standridge's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- National Debt
- Excerpt: "The national debt is fast approaching the 16 trillion dollar mark. This debt cannot be ignored. I believe firmly in cutting spending and not raising taxes and living within our means. We can't spend more than we take in."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "The Second Amendment guarantees the citizens of the United States of America the right to bear arms. I support individual rights and the Constitution. The right to bear arms should always be protected."
- National Defense
- Excerpt: "I believe in a strong national defense that stands ready to defend against the enemies of freedom. I believe in peace through strength."
- Excerpt: "Education in this country is one of the fundamental ways to protect our future. We need to reduce Federal mandates and allow our local school systems the authority to make their own decisions with their resources."
- Government Corruption
- Excerpt: "In every office that I have held, I have always served the people with integrity. I will continue to do so in Washington. I will oppose all forms of government corruption and perform the job that the people sent me there to do."
- Small Government
- Excerpt: "Small government is an essential part of individual freedom. Government should not over-regulate your personal life or your business."
- Excerpt: "Government-run health care is a very dangerous and costly decision. We must band together and repeal this costly legislation so that our health care quality will not decrease. We need adequate and common sense health care to improve the affordability and maintain the quality of our health care system."
- Excerpt: "I am pro-life. Abortion is the ending of a human life, and we do not have the right to decide who lives and who dies. Government should never pay for any abortion to take place."
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent David Standridge was unopposed in the Republican primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
Standridge won the special election for District 34 of the Alabama House of Representatives. He faced Bill Burns, Mark Butler, Joe Hughes, Chris Latta and Jim Murphree in the Republican primary on October 23, 2012. No Democratic candidates filed. As no candidate received more than 50 percent of the vote, the top two vote-getters, Standridge and Chris Latta, faced off in a primary runoff on December 11, 2012, which Standridge won.
David Standridge 2012 campaign ad
Campaign finance reports showing activity though late February show Standridge raised about $33,300 and loaned his campaign $8,000. Of this total, he spent $37,700 leaving him with $3,600.
Standridge has been married to his wife Danna for 30 years. They are members of the Hayden First Baptish Church. Standridge and his wife have three children and four grandchildren.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Official Campaign Website
- Official Facebook Page
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Blount Countian, "Standridge sworn in as District 34 State Representative," December 19, 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of David Standridge," accessed February 10, 2012
- David Standridge campaign website, "Issues," accessed February 10, 2012
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- AL.com, "Blount County's District 34 House race headed to a runoff," October 23, 2012
- Governor of Alabama, "Governor Bentley Appoints Blaine Galliher as Legislative Director," July 26, 2012
- The Republic, "Candidates qualify for special elections to fill 2 vacant seats in Alabama House," September 11, 2012
- The Republic, "2 Republicans headed to Ala. state legislature after special elections," December 11, 2012
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Republican Certification List," January 20, 2012
- The Birmingham News, "Alabama Campaign 2012: Bachus challengers file first campaign finance reports," March 2, 2012
|Alabama House District 34
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|