David Thomas (South Carolina)
|South Carolina State Senate District 8|
|Elections and appointments|
|Greenville City Council|
|Bachelor's||University of North Carolina, Charlotte, 1971|
|Master's||Texas Christian University, 1979|
|J.D.||University of South Carolina, 1995|
|Other||M.Div., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1975|
|Date of birth||September 10, 1949|
|Place of birth||Seneca, SC|
Thomas was on the Greenville City Council from 1979 to 1984. He was Mayor Pro Temp from 1983 to 1984. He joined the South Carolina State Senate in 1984 and served there until his primary defeat in 2012.
Thomas is the President of Copy Cat, Incorporated. He is currently an attorney as well.
Thomas earned his B.A. from the University of North Carolina, Charlotte in 1971. He went on to receive his MDiv from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1975. He then earned his M.A. from Texas Christian University in 1979. He received his J.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1995.
Thomas was considered one of the most conservative senators in the South Carolina State Senate during his tenure.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Thomas served on the following committees:
- Banking and Insurance Committee, South Carolina State Senate, Chair
- Corrections and Penology Committee, South Carolina State Senate
- Finance Committee, South Carolina State Senate
- Medical Affairs Committee, South Carolina State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Thomas served on the following committees:
- Banking and Insurance Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Corrections and Penology Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Finance Committee, South Carolina Senate
- Medical Affairs Committee, South Carolina Senate
|South Carolina State Senate District 8 Republican Primary, 2012|
|David Thomas Incumbent||20.5%||1,509|
Thomas raised $41,647 for his campaign.
|South Carolina State Senate, District 8|
Thomas raised $41,647 in the 2008 election cycle.
His top contributor is listed below. He received 22 individual contribution of $1,000 each, his next largest contribution amount.
|Senate Republican Caucus of South Carolina||$2,025|
The Palmetto Liberty PAC Scorecard
The Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee, a conservative pro-limited government think tank in South Carolina, releases its Scorecard for South Carolina Representatives and Senators once a year. The Scorecard gives each a legislator a score based on how they voted in the two-year legislative term prior to the election on specific issues which the Palametto Liberty PAC thought were anti-limited government. "Most of the votes shown on the score card are votes that we lost. Now we can identify the Legislators that caused us to lose these votes. These Legislators are the ones who need to be replaced if we are to achieve the vision of having the most free state in the nation."
David Thomas received a score of 47% in the 2012 score card, ranking 8th out of all 46 South Carolina Senate members. His score was followed by Senators Lawrence Grooms (41%), A. Shane Massey (41%), and Phillip Shoopman (41%).
Due to a state law passed in 2002, which allows legislators who have served 30 years to receive a taxpayer-funded pension rather than a salary, Thomas was able to begin collecting his pension in January 2005 without leaving office. His salary at the time was $10,400, while the annual pension was $32,390.
Thomas has a wife, Fran.
- David Thomas' campaign website
- David Thomas' personal website
- Profile from the South Carolina Legislature (dead link)
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1996
- David Thomas on Facebook
- David Thomas on Twitter
- South Carolina State Election Commission, "2012 Candidates," accessed April 25, 2012
- SC Votes, "Primary Results" June 12, 2012
- South Carolina State Election Commission, "Official Primary Results," June 29, 2012
- South Carolina official election results for 2008
- Follow the Money's report on Thomas's 2008 campaign contributions
- Campaign contributors to David Thomas
- The Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee, "Voting Records," accessed April 11, 2014
- Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee, "South Carolina Senate Score Card 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Palmetto Liberty Political Action Committee: South Carolina Senate Score Card 2012, 2012
- USA Today, "How state lawmakers pump up pensions in ways you can't," April 16, 2012
|South Carolina State Senate - District 8
| Succeeded by|
Ross Turner (R)