David Walker (Connecticut)
|Former candidate for|
|Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut|
|U.S. Comptroller General|
Walker is an accountant and former U.S. Comptroller General.
Republican primary - August 12, 2014
|Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut, Republican Primary, 2014|
|Election Results via Connecticut Secretary of State.|
Incumbent Nancy Wyman (D) was first elected in 2010 and sought re-election in 2014 alongside current Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy. Wyman and Malloy were uncontested in their respective primaries on August 12 and will run together for the second cycle in a row in the general election. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
The outcome of the August 12 Republican primary for Connecticut Lieutenant Governor remained unknown until Wednesday afternoon after election day, when state Rep. Penny Bacchiochi conceded the tight race to Groton Town Council Member and former-Mayor Heather Somers. With 100 percent of precincts reporting, unofficial results provided by the Connecticut Secretary of State showed Somers edging out Bacchiochi by a razor-sharp margin of about 780 votes. Although not a factor in the suspenseful head-to-head finale, third place finisher David Walker took a respectable 32 percent of the vote, roughly 1,000 votes behind Bacchiochi.
Under Connecticut election law, an automatic recount is triggered if the margin separating the highest vote-getters falls within one-half a percentage point of the total number of ballots cast; for Somers and Bacchiochi, that meant a difference of 1,000 votes. Bacchiochi rejected the ordering of a recount, however, believing it would only waste time. Delegates of the Connecticut Republican Party voted to back Bacchiochi for lieutenant governor at their convention in May, so Somers' victory was a modest upset.
Somers will go on to share the ticket with GOP gubernatorial nominee Tom Foley in the general election battle against Democratic incumbents Gov. Dan Malloy and Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman and unaffiliated ticket of Joe Visconti and Chester Harris.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "David + Walker + Connecticut + Lieutenant + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Connecticut State Elections Enforcement Commission, "Candidate Committee Registration Statement," April 9, 2014
- wfsb.com, "Bacchiochi concedes GOP race for lt. governor to Somers," August 13, 2014
- The Associated Press, "Connecticut - Summary Vote Results," August 13, 2014
- NBC Connecticut, "Race results: Connecticut Primary Election," August 13, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Statement of Vote," accessed August 13, 2014
- ctpost.com, "Lieutenant governor GOP primary too close to call," August 12, 2014
- The Hartford Courant, "Lieutenant Governor Primary Still Too Close To Call," August 13, 2014
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Candidate List, 2014 General Election," accessed October 13, 2014
State of Connecticut
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of the State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utility Control |