|Washington House of Representatives, District 25|
|2003 - 2011, January 14, 2013 - present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position (current service)||0|
|Years in position (previous service)||8|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Washington, Tacoma, 1995|
|Associate's||Solano Community College, 1982|
Morrell acquired her B.S. in Nursing from the University of Washington, Tacoma. She received Certification in Critical Care Nursing and as a Childbirth Educator. She earned her A.A. in General Science from Solano Community College, and her A.S. in Nursing from Solano Community College.
Morrell is currently a Childbirth Educator. She has worked for Good Samaritan Hospital as a Critical Care Nurse since 1984. Morrell also worked as State Coordinator for Hawaii and Washington for the International Childbirth Education Association.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Morrell served on the following committees:
|Washington Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health Care and Wellness|
|• Technology and Economic Development|
Morrell's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Prioritizing Education
- Excerpt: "I am passionate about making state budgets live up to our paramount duty to provide a good education for children. It is the key to our success as a state – and as a country. We need to continue our tradition of leading the world through innovation and need to provide great trade and technical schools so that students are prepared to enter our workforce."
- Working for Affordable Health Coverage
- Excerpt: "Locally, people are losing their homes, their futures and even their lives to diseases that strike them or their loved ones. No one deserves to carry the fear of, “What this may cost?” into their battle with a life-threatening illness. I come home motivated to make a change and right these injustices. In Olympia I was able to pass some bi-partisan proposals to help lower costs long-term."
- Providing for Veterans and Military Families
- Excerpt: "The men and women of our armed forces and their families make incredible sacrifices every day. My husband Jim retired from the Air Force many years ago and we were fortunate to receive the support of our government so that we could successfully start our family. "
- Budget Reform & Tax Relief
- Excerpt: "Consecutive years of state budget shortfalls have highlighted the need to make some fundamental reforms to our budgeting process. It is clear that we cannot continue to place a financial burden low and middle class families and that we need to take a tough look at every department to make sure they are accountable and efficient with taxpayer dollars."
- Helping Seniors
- Excerpt: "Helping out those who helped build our great community has always been a priority and I have fought to provide options for our seniors to stay in their homes and enjoy their retirement years. I have worked to provide property tax relief and long-term care options that help to keep all of our health care costs low."
Morrell won election in the 2012 election for Washington House of Representatives, District 25a. Morrell advanced past the August 7 blanket primary election and defeated Shelly Schlumpf (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Washington House of Representatives, District 25a, General Election, 2012|
Dawn Morrell ran for re-election to the Washington State House of Representatives District 25b. She defeated Ron Morehouse, Steven Vermillion, Larry Johnson and Bryan Shaner in the August 17, 2010 primary. She was defeated by Republican Hans Zeiger in the November 2, 2010 general election.
On November 4, 2008, Democrat Dawn Morrell won re-election to the Washington House of Representatives, District 25 receiving 58.30% of the vote (33,451 votes), defeating Republican Ron Morehouse who received 41.70% of the vote (23,931 votes).
|Washington House of Representatives, District 25(2008)|
|Dawn Morrell (D)||33,451||58.30%|
|Ron Morehouse (R)||23,931||41.70%|
In Washington, there is a $1,600 campaign contribution limit for donations to partisan House candidates.
Comprehensive donor information for Morrell is available dating back to 2002. Based on available campaign finance records, Morrell raised a total of $1,080,424 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 30, 2013.
|Dawn Morrell's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Washington State House, District 25||$244,103|
|2010||Washington State House, District 25||$267,009|
|2008||Washington State House, District 25||$99,950|
|2006||Washington State House, District 25||$119,764|
|2004||Washington State House, District 25||$181,973|
|2002||Washington State House, District 25||$167,625|
|Grand Total Raised||$1,080,424|
2012Morrell won election to the Washington House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Morrell raised a total of $244,103.
|Washington House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Dawn Morrell's campaign in 2012|
|House Democratic Campaign Cmte Of Washington||$55,987|
|Washington State Democratic Central Committee||$53,478|
|25th Legislative District Democrats||$15,653|
|Washington State Association For Justice||$1,800|
|Washington State Senate Democrats||$1,800|
|Total Raised in 2012||$244,103|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Listed below are the five largest contributors to Dawn Morrell's 2008 campaign.
|House Democratic Campaign Committee of Washington||$9,814|
|Washington State Trial Lawyers Association||$2,400|
|Washington State Dental Association||$1,600|
|Optometric Physicians of Washington||$1,600|
|Washington State Hospital Association||$1,600|
Morrell and her husband, Jim, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Dawn + Morrell + Washington + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- House Democrats website
- Washington House of Representatives - Rep. Morrell
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Dawn Morrell on Facebook
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Morrell
- ↑ Campaign website, Issues
- ↑ Washington Secretary of State - 2012 Primary Candidates
- ↑ Washington Secretary of State, "August 07, 2012 Primary Results - Legislative - All Results," accessed August 15, 2012
- ↑ Washington Legislature Official primary results SOS
- ↑ Washington State Election Results
- ↑ Washington Public Disclosure Commission "Contribution Limits"
- ↑ Follow the Money, "Morrell, Dawn," accessed September 30, 2013
Bruce Dammeier (R)
|Washington House of Representatives District 25
| Succeeded by|
|Washington House of Representatives District 25
| Succeeded by|
Hans Zeiger (R)
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |