|Board Member, Bloomington School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November, 2017|
|Bachelor's||Iowa State University|
Steigauf resides in Bloomington, Minnesota. Steigauf earned her B.S. in Child, Parent and Community Services from Iowa State University. She has dedicated her career to public service with a focus on education and meeting the needs of autistic people, such as her son. Steigauf has served as the Chair of the district's Special Education Community Advisory Council, the Vice Chair of the district's Curriculum Advisory Committee and as the Chair of the Minnesota Autism Spectrum Disorder Task Force.
|Bloomington Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Tim Culver Incumbent||13.3%||5,220|
|Nonpartisan||Arlene Bush Incumbent||12.5%||4,941|
|Nonpartisan||Lyle Abeln Incumbent||12.4%||4,895|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 271 - Bloomington," accessed December 18, 2013|
Steigauf reported $3,503.52 in contributions and $3,503.52 in expenditures to the school district office, leaving her campaign with no cash on hand.
Steigauf did not receive any official endorsements for her campaign.
Steigauf's campaign website listed the following campaign themes for 2013:
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
There were four seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbent board Chair Tim Culver, Lyle Abeln and Arlene Bush unsuccessfully sought re-election, while fellow incumbent Mark Hibbs did not file for re-election. The incumbents drew four challengers in Ricardo Oliva, Dawn Steigauf, Jim Sorum and Tom Bennett.
About the district
- See also: Bloomington Public Schools, Minnesota
Bloomington outperformed the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Bloomington was $60,150 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Bloomington was 8.5% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 38.5% of Bloomington residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
Note: Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" percentage, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off. Read more about race and ethnicity in the Census here.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Dawn + Steigauf + Bloomington + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Dawn Steigauf for School Board, "Experience and Leadership," accessed October 21, 2013
- Information received in an email to Ballotpedia from Jennifer Hazel on March 25, 2014
- Dawn Steigauf for School Board, "About the Candidate," accessed October 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Hennepin County, Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Bloomington (city), Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014