|California State Senate District 16|
Prior to joining the state senate, Florez served in the California State Assembly from 1998-2002.
Florez attended Bakersfield College and went on to earn a B.S. in Political Science from UCLA in 1986 and an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1993. He worked as a consultant to the Senate Budget & Fiscal Review committee from 1986-1991 and as president of the Ophon Consulting Group from 1995-1998.
Florez is married to Elsa Florez and they have two children.
- See also: State executive official elections, 2014
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2010
Florez was ineligible to seek re-election in 2010.
In 2006 Florez was elected to the California State Senate, District 16. He ran unopposed and finished with 78,146 votes. Florez raised $503,107 for her campaign fund.
|California State Senate, District 16|
|Dean Florez (D)||78,146|
In 2006 Florez raised $503,107 in campaign donations. Her top three donors are listed below.
|California Democratic Party||$27,000|
|California Medical Association||$13,400|
Capitol Weekly, California's major weekly periodical covering the state legislature, publishes an annual legislative scorecard to pin down the political or ideological leanings of every member of the legislature based on how they voted on an assortment of bills in the most recent legislative session. The 2009 scores were based on votes on 19 bills, but did not include how legislators voted on the Proposition 1A (2009). On the scorecard, "100" is a perfect liberal score and "0" is a perfect conservative score.
On the 2009 Capitol Weekly legislative scorecard, Florez ranked as an 85.
Senator Florez speaks to San Bernardino Democrats
Florez served on these standing Senate committees:
- Governmental Organization (Chair)
- Food and Agriculture
- Banking, Finance and Insurance
- Business, Professions and Economic Development
- Environmental Quality
16th District profile
- Dean Florez campaign website
- Official website of State Senator Dean Florez
- Legislative profile of Dean Florez on Project Vote Smart
- Biographical profile of Dean Florez on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008
- Dean Florez on Facebook
- Dean Florez on MySpace
- Dean Florez on Twitter
- Dean Florez on LinkedIn
- Dean Florez's YouTube Channel
- California Secretary of State, "Campaign Finance:Statement of Intention," accessed November 27, 2012
- California State Senate official election results
- Campaign donros
- Ballot Access News, "California Legislative Hearing on Bill to Ban Paying Circulators Per Signature," July 6, 2009
- Text of SB 34
- Capitol Weekly, "Capitol Weekly's Legislative Scorecard," December 17, 2009
- Fox and Hounds Daily, "Random Thoughts on the Political Scene," December 18, 2009
- Capitol Weekly," Downloadable 2009 Capitol Weekly State Legislative Scorecard
- Senate Standing Committee on Government Organization
- Senate Standing Committee on Food and Agriculture
- Senate Appropriations committee membership list
- Senate standing committee on Banking, Finance and Insurance
- Senate Business, Professions and Economic Development committee membership list
- Senate Environmental Quality committee membership list
- Senate Judiciary committee membership
- Overview of Senate District 16
|California State Senate District 16
| Succeeded by|
Michael J. Rubio