|North Carolina House of Representatives District 54|
|2013-December 11, 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||University of North Carolina-Charlotte|
McManus received a B.A. in Psychology from the University of North Carolina-Charlotte in 1979. She is an office manager at Carolina Family Practice.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, McManus served on the following committees:
|North Carolina Committee Assignments, 2013|
McManus' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt:"In addition to the impact on education, cutting funding that pays for teachers and other state employees just compounds our budget problems as more people are out of work, drawing unemployment, and not spending on goods and services."
Fracking, Energy & The Environment
- Excerpt:"When speaking, I've compared fracking to an experimental medical procedure. It may have potential at some point in the future but we are simply not in a position to take the risks at this time. I don't want our area to be a testing ground."
Jobs & the Economy
- Excerpt:"I want to create incentives for green energy development in our district. This is one of the fastest growing sectors of new jobs and we should be taking advantage of this. North Carolina has been ranked as a business friendly state but we have to continue to improve our district's image as a high quality place to live and raise a family."
The War on Women's Reproductive Health Rights
- Excerpt:"I vehemently oppose the state requirements on ultrasounds and waiting periods for women seeking an abortion, and I fully support funding Planned Parenthood, because they provide many health services for many women who would not otherwise receive treatment."
Voter I. D. Laws
- Excerpt:"I oppose the Voter ID bill. First, because it is unnecessary. Research from the NC State Board of Elections says from the years 2004-2010 shows there were 5 cases of voter fraud per 1,000,000 ballots cast."
McManus ran in the 2012 election for North Carolina House of Representatives District 54. She defeated Jeff Starkweather in the Democratic primary on May 8, 2012. McManus defeated Cathy Wright (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 54, General Election, 2012|
|North Carolina House of Representatives District 54 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Deb McManus Incumbent||59.2%||7,447|
Comprehensive donor information for McManus is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, McManus raised a total of $176,456 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 30, 2013.
|Deb McManus's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||North Carolina House of Representatives, District 54||$176,456|
|Grand Total Raised||$176,456|
2012McManus won election to the North Carolina House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, McManus raised a total of $176,456.
|North Carolina House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Deb McManus's campaign in 2012|
|North Carolina Democratic Party||$64,290|
|Mcmanus, Deborah Hawkins||$23,861|
|Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians||$8,000|
|Lillians List of North Carolina||$8,000|
|Joe Hackney For House Cmte||$4,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$176,456|
|Source: Follow the Money|
McManus and her husband, Keith, have two children. They currently reside in Siler City, North Carolina.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Deb + McManus + North Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Deb McManus on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- www.wral.com, "Rep. Deb McManus resigns after embezzlement arrest," accessed January 13, 2014
- debfor54.com - Issues (dead link)
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2012 Primary Election Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2012 General Election Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed June 22, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "McManus, Deborah Hawkins," accessed August 30, 2013
Joe Hackney (D)
|North Carolina House - District 54
2013–December 11, 2013
| Succeeded by|
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |