|South Dakota State Senate District 14|
|January 9, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Majority Whip, South Dakota State Senate|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||University of North Dakota|
|Master's||South Dakota State University|
Soholt has a B.A. from University of North Dakota and an master's from South Dakota State University.
Soholt is a registered nurse with over twenty years of experience in the medical field, and is President of the South Dakota Board of Nursing.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Soholt served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Education, Chair|
|• Legislative Procedure|
|• State Affairs|
|• Joint Legislative Procedure|
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Soholt served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health and Human Services, Vice Chair|
|• Local Government|
The general elections for the office of South Dakota State Senate took place on November 4, 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Brian Kaatz was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Deb Soholt was unopposed in the Republican primary. Kaatz withdrew after the primary, and Soholt was unopposed in the general election.
Soholt won election in the 2012 election for South Dakota State Senate District 14. She defeated David B. Rose in the Republican primary on June 5 and defeated Brian Kaatz (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 14, General Election, 2012|
|South Dakota State Senate District 14 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Deb Soholt Incumbent||54.1%||836|
|David B. Rose||45.9%||708|
Comprehensive donor information for Deb Soholt is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Deb Soholt raised a total of $8,546 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 26, 2013.
|Deb Soholt's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||South Dakota State Senate, District 14||$8,546|
|Grand Total Raised||$8,546|
2012Deb Soholt won election to the South Dakota State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Deb Soholt raised a total of $8,546.
|South Dakota State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Deb Soholt's campaign in 2012|
|South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$8,546|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.
In 2013, the 88th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 8 to March 25.
- South Dakota Freedom Coalition: South Dakota Freedom Index 2013
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on the "top ten" issues affecting your freedom.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Deb + Soholt + South + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota State Senate
- South Dakota Senate Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota State Senate District 14
- Official campaign website
- Sen. Soholt's website
- Profile from Open States
- Deb Soholt on Facebook
- Deb Soholt on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- South Dakota State University, "Alumi News," accessed May 3, 2012 (timed out)
- Women in Balance, "Board of Directors," accessed March 11, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election - Official Results," accessed June 4, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official General Election Results - November 4, 2014," accessed November 12, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," accessed May 2, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 10, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," June 12, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Soholt, Deb," accessed September 26, 2013
Joni Cutler (R)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 14
| Succeeded by|