|Former candidate for|
|Board Member, Adams 12 School Board, District 3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|(timed out) Campaign website|
Christensen resides in Adams County, Colorado. Christensen has earned a Bachelor’s degree in Spanish Secondary Education and a Master’s in English Composition. In her career as an educator, she has served as both a classroom teacher and as an online instructor.
|Adams 12 Five Star Schools, District 3 General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Source: Adams County, Colorado, "Election Summary Report," November 19, 2013|
Christensen received endorsements for her campaign from Adams 12 Board President Mark Clark, Thornton City Mayor Heidi Williams, Westminster City Councilmen Bob Briggs and Herb Atchison, Adams County Treasurer Brigitte Grimm and Commissioner Erik Hansen.
In response to a candidate survey, Christensen provided the following priorities of her campaign:
In the same survey, Christensen also stated that the following was the largest issue confronting the school district:
"We don’t have to look five years down the road for tough issues. Colorado recently adopted the Common Core State Standards that will require our district to adopt new materials and methodologies, which are often imposed on teachers with minimal notice or training. Negotiations will soon begin regarding the teachers' contract, which is up for renewal in 2015. Recent budget cuts resulted in a reduction of employee benefits, cost of living increases, and extracurricular programs. And new standards-based grading has caused frustration among parents, teachers, administrators, and students."
What was at stake?
Two seats on the board were at stake in this election. Incumbent Rico Figueroa ran unopposed to keep his District 4 seat after challenger Amy Speers was deemed ineligible to run due to her residency outside of the district, while in District 3, the retirement of current board member Dr. Frederick J. Schaefer left the seat open to newcomers Joshua Bastian, Debbie Christensen, David Elliott and Kathy Plomer. On November 5, the Colorado Secretary of State issued a rule stating that votes for disqualified candidates cannot be reported, which includes Speers.
About the district
- See also: Adams 12 Five Star Schools, Colorado
Adams County underperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of its average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Adams County is $56,089 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Adams County is 14.0% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 20.7% of Adams County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Debbie + Christensen + Adams + Five + Star + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Debbie Christensen - Adams 12 Board of Education, "About Debbie," accessed October 7, 2013 (timed out)
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," accessed December 20, 2013
- Debbie Christensen - Adams 12 Board of Education, "Endorsements," accessed November 4, 2013 (timed out)
- Adams 12 Five Star Schools, "Debbie Christensen," accessed October 7, 2013
- Adams 12 Five Star Schools, "District determines candidate for board of education ineligible to run in Director District 4," accessed October 30, 2013
- Adams County, Colorado, "Media Advisory Adams 12 Five Star Schools Update," accessed November 6, 2013 (dead link)
- United States Census Bureau, "Adams County, Colorado," accessed October 2, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 2, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014