|Michigan Senate District 26|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
January 1, 2011
Cherry also served three terms in the Michigan House of Representatives from 1994 to 2000. Before joining the Michigan Legislature, Cherry served on the Genesee County Board of Commissioners from 1988 to 1994. Cherry served as the board's Chairwoman from 1991 to 1993. Before becoming a full-time legislator, Cherry was a consultant to various senior citizen advocacy groups in Michigan and was a grant writer for the University of Michigan-Flint.
In 2010, Senator Cherry ran for Genesee County Treasurer.
Key votes of 2009-2010
- Click below to see how this representative voted.
- Super Speedway, Lawmakers voting on whether TO EXTEND A SPECIAL TAX PERK for a super speedway.
- Driver Responsibility Fees, Lawmakers voting on whether TO IMPOSE 'driver responsibility fees.'
- Crony Capitalism, Lawmakers voting on whether TO RESTRICT THE RIGHT of shareholders to sell their own stock.
- Golf Carts, Lawmakers voting on whether TO SUBSIDIZE the production of electric vehicle batteries.
- Home Court Disadvantage, Lawmakers voting on whether TO GIVE MORE TAXING POWER to local government in Kalamazoo so it can finance a taxpayer-subsidized sports arena.
- Mandate Beer Keg Buyer’s Tags, Lawmakers voting on whether TO MANDATE beer keg buyer's tags.
- Remonumentation of State Border, Lawmakers voting on whether to appropriate funds up to $500,000 for remonumentation of the Michigan-Indiana border.
- Fire Safe Cigarettes, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN the sale of cigarettes that are not "fire safe."
- Commission on Spanish-Speaking Affairs, Lawmakers voting on whether TO EXPAND DUTIES of and rename government's Commission on Spanish-Speaking Affairs.
- Balancing Act, Lawmakers voting on a budget to CUT REVENUE SHARING PAYMENTS to local governments as a way to balance the state budget without raising taxes.
- Balancing Act 2, Lawmakers voting on a cut of less than 3 percent to K-12 school aid payments so as to balance the state budget without tax increases.
- A Good Tax Gone Bad?, Lawmakers voting on the Michigan Business Tax.
- It’s From the Children, Lawmakers voting on whether to RAID $90 MILLION from the Michigan Higher Education Student Loan Authority.
- Don’t Blame Canada, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN Canadian trash from Michigan landfills.
- Left Behind, Lawmakers voting on whether TO FINANCE "No Worker Left Behind" with a 59.9 percent increase in general fund spending in the 2009 DELEG budget.
- Politically Correct Capitalism, Lawmakers voting on whether to INCREASE SUBSIDIES for plug-in traction battery packs used in electric cars.
- Politically Correct Capitalism 2, Lawmakers voting on whether to GIVE SUBSIDIES for Michigan film production.
- Politically Correct Capitalism 3, Lawmakers voting on whether to INCREASE ELECTRIC CAR SUBSIDIES for a subsidiary of a Korean battery company.
- Grapes of Wrath, Lawmakers voting on whether TO BAN home shipment of beer and wine to Michigan consumers.
- Subsidize Manufacture of Electric Cars, Lawmakers voting on whether to authorize a refundable Michigan Business Tax credit for makers of plug-in traction battery packs used in electric cars.
- Authorize Special Tax Breaks for Ethanol Gas Stations, Lawmakers voting on whether to authorize a non-refundable Michigan Business Tax credit equal to 30 percent of the costs incurred by a gas station to convert existing pumps and tanks, or acquire new ones that deliver E85 ethanol or biodiesel fuel.
- Presidential Privileges, Lawmakers voting on whether to require state workers to either work on President's Day or take the day off as an unpaid holiday.
Cherry served on these committees:
Cherry represented Michigan Senate District 26. District 26 includes the Outlying Flint Are.
Cherry was not eligible for re-election due to Michigan's term limits.
Cherry raised $225,952 for her campaign.
|Michigan State Senate, District 26|
|Deborah Cherry (D)||65,711|
|Brian Seiferlein (R)||41,445|
In 2006 Deborah Cherry collected $225,952 in donations.
Her four largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Michigan Auto Workers Region V||$8,400|
|Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association||$8,036|
|Michigan Health & Hospital Association||$7,725|
|Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan||$6,150|
Cherry is single and resides in Burton, Michigan.
- Senator Cherry's county treasurer campaign website
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Voting record from Michigan Votes
- Michigan Senate Democrats facebook
- List of 2010 state legislative candidates in Michigan
- Cherry kicks off Genesee County Treasurer campaign, March 26, 2010
- "Michigan Senate" List of Standing Committees
- "Michigan Senate" Map of Senate Districts
- [--- Michigan State Senate official election results for 2008]
- Follow the Money's report on Cherry's 2008 campaign contributions
- 2006 contributors to Deborah Cherry
|Michigan State Senate District 26
2003–January 1, 2011
| Succeeded by|