|Delaware House of Representatives District 6|
|2011 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||$7,334 annual expense allowance|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||University of Delaware|
|Master's||Environmental Toxicology, Duke University|
Heffernan earned a B.S. in Biology from the University of Delaware and an M.S. in Environmental Toxicology from Duke University. Heffernan is an environmental toxicologist who has worked in private industry and as a consultant for Delaware's Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Heffernan served on the following committees:
|Delaware Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Joint Finance|
|• Natural Resources, Chair|
|• Veterans Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Heffernan served on these committees:
|Delaware Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Natural Resources, Vice Chair|
Elections for the office of Delaware House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 8, 2014. Incumbent Debra Heffernan was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Kyle K. Buzzard was unopposed in the Republican primary. Heffernan defeated Buzzard in the general election. Lee Murphy (R) was removed from the ballot before the primary.
|Delaware House of Representatives, District 6, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Debra Heffernan Incumbent||63.4%||4,620|
|Republican||Kyle K. Buzzard||36.6%||2,662|
Heffernan ran in the 2012 election for Delaware House of Representatives District 6. Heffernan ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on September 11, 2012 and was challenged by Eric Taylor in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Delaware House of Representatives, District 6, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Debra Heffernan Incumbent||62.4%||7,502|
| Delaware House of Representatives, District 6 |
2010 General election results
|Debra Heffernan (D)||4,263||51.9%|
|Thomas Kovach (R)||3,856||46.9%|
|Matthew John Flebbe (L)||97||1.2%|
Comprehensive donor information for Heffernan is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Heffernan raised a total of $77,257 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Debra Heffernan's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Delaware State House, District 6||$45,409|
|2010||Delaware State House, District 6||$31,848|
|Grand Total Raised||$77,257|
2012Heffernan won re-election to the Delaware House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Heffernan raised a total of $45,409.
|Delaware House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Debra Heffernan's campaign in 2012|
|New Castle County Democratic Cmte||$1,000|
|Cozen Oconnor Pc||$600|
|Delaware State Afl-cio||$600|
|6th Representative District New Castle County Democratic Cmte||$600|
|Service Employees Local 32bj||$600|
|Total Raised in 2012||$45,409|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Heffernan raised $31,848 in contributions.
Her three largest contributors were:
|Delaware Democratic Party||$1,500|
|New Castle County Democratic Cmte||$1,000|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on their stances on "social and economic justice issues."
Heffernan and her husband, Patrick, have three children.
She has been president of the Brandywine School Board since 2008, having been originally elected to the board in 2005.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Debra + Heffernan + Delaware + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Delaware House of Representatives
- Delaware House Committees
- Delaware House of Representatives District 6
- Delaware State Legislature
- Debra Heffernan's personal website
- House website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Debra Heffernan on Facebook
- Debra Heffernan on Twitter
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- State of Delaware, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election results," accessed November 13, 2014
- Delaware State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed July 13, 2012
- Delaware Elections Division, "Official 2010 Election results," accessed March 20, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Heffernan, Debra," accessed September 19, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 21, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed March 20, 2014
|Delaware House District 6
| Succeeded by|