|Kansas House of Representatives District 69|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
Horst currently serves as Precinct Committee Woman for the Salina County Republican Party, and has previously worked as secretary for the Salina County Republican Party Central Committee.
A teacher by trade, she has been an Art Teacher/Department Chair with Unified School District 305, South Middle School, Salina, Kansas since 1968. Horst has a BSE from Kansas State Teachers College, an MA from Emporia State University, and is currently working towards her EDD at Kansas State University.
Horst's answers to the Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test are available.
In the test she lists her legislative priorities:
1) Ensuring that leading every classroom is a highly, qualified teacher who has the support and materials needed to be highly effective; 2) Making certain that all Kansans who truly need assistance in accessing health care and other services, receive it; 3) Requiring each energy utility in Kansas to develop a realistic, affordable balance between renewable and non-renewable energy sources; and 4) Encouraging economic development through establishing a business climate which is competitive with surrounding states.
- H 2150 Property taxation; 2% limit on valuation increases. 02/27/2009
- H 2228 Private postsecondary institutions eligibility for the Kansas comprehensive grant program. 02/04/2009
While a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, Horst served on the following committees:
- Education Committee, House of Representatives (Vice-Chair)
- Higher Education Committee, House of Representatives
- Elections Committee, House of Representatives
- Aging and Long Term Care Committee, House of Representatives
- Arts and Cultural Resources Joint Committee, State Legislature (Chair)
On November 4, 2008, Horst was re-elected to the 69th District Seat in the Kansas House of Representatives, defeating Rebekah Gaston (D) and Mike Trow (L). Horst raised $21,585 for her campaign, while Gaston raised $11,742 and Horst raised $500.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 69|
|Deena Horst (R)||4,026||52.9%|
|Rebekah Gaston (D)||3,072||40.4%|
|Mike Trow (L)||502||6.6%|
In 2008 Horst collected $21,585 in donations.
Her five largest contributors were:
|Saline County Republican Central Committee||$1,205|
|Kansas Contractors Association||$1,000|
|Kansas Association of Realtors||$900|
|Kansas Optometric Association||$750|
|Kansas Medical Society||$750|
- Official Website
- Kansas Legislature - Deena Horst
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Kansas Votes profile
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign contributions: 1998,2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008
|Kansas House of Representatives District 69
| Succeeded by|
Tom Arpke (R)
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |