Deer Park Independent School District, Texas
|Deer Park Independent School District|
|Deer Park, Texas|
|Graduation rate:||90.4 percent|
|Number of schools:||14|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Lynn Kirkpatrick|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Deer Park Independent School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtDeer Park, a city in Harris County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Deer Park is home to 32,995 residents.
Deer Park underperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 20.1 percent of Deer Park residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Deer Park was $75,183 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Deer Park was 7.4 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The superintendent of Deer Park Independent School District is Arnold Adair as of April 9, 2014. He has worked as a teacher, principal and administrator with the district since 1975.
The Deer Park Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each member is elected to a specific seat but represents the entire district. Trustees are not paid but receive compensation for travel expenses and conference fees associated with district business.
|Deer Park Board of Trustees|
|Rhonda Leigh Lowe||1||2015|
|Albert Lee Giddens||2||2015|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats were up for election on May 10, 2014. Three seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2012:
The Board encourages public participation through the public comment portion of the meeting designated for that purpose. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
No presentation shall exceed three minutes. Delegations of more than five persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
—Deer Park Independent School District's website, (2014), 
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The 2013-2014 salary schedule for certified teachers in Deer Park Independent School District lists a starting salary of $49,000. The median income for a teacher is $57,435 and the maximum income is $65,870.
Schools in Deer Park Independent School District
Deer Park Independent School District operates 14 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Deer Park Independent School District|
|Bonnette Junior High School|
|Carpenter Elementary School|
|Deepwater Elementary School|
|Deepwater Junior High School|
|Deer Park Elementary School|
|Deer Park Junior High School|
|Deer Park High School-North|
|Deer Park High School-South|
|Deer Park High School-Wolters|
|Fairmont Elementary School|
|Fairmont Junior High School|
|J.P. Dabbs Elementary School|
|Parkwood Elementary School|
|San Jacinto Elementary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Deer Park Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 95% of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,101||1,500||73||55|
- List of school districts in Texas
- Deer Park Independent School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Deer Park Independent School District
- Deer Park, Texas
- Texas Education Agency
- Texas Association of School Boards
- Texas Education Agency, "2012-2013 District Performance," accessed April 10, 2014
- Deer Park Independent School District, "About Deer Park ISD," accessed April 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Deer Park, Texas," accessed April 8, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed April 8, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Bobby Vasquez, Houston Community Newspapers, "Adair installed as DPISD supt. administration is reorganized," November 21, 2010
- Deer Park Independent School District, "Eligibility/Qualifications," October 21, 2011
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Deer Park Independent School District, "Public Participation," December 17, 2012
- Deer Park Independent School District, "Deer Park Independent School District FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 3, 2013
- Texas Education Agency, "Select District for Financial (Budget 2013) Report," accessed December 11, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Select District for Financial (Budget 2014) Report," accessed December 11, 2014
- Deer Park Independent School, "Hiring Schedules," accessed April 9, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Deer Park Independent School District, "District Maps," accessed April 10, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Accountability Summary 2013: Deer Park ISD," accessed April 8, 2014