Delaware State Senate District 15
|Delaware State Senate District 15|
|Current incumbent||David G. Lawson|
|Ethnicity||16.1% Black, 3.3% Hispanic|
|Voting age||74.4% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 6, 2018|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 51,296 civilians reside within Delaware's fifteenth state senate district. Delaware state senators represent an average of 42,759 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 37,314 residents.
About the office
Article II, Section 3 of the Delaware Constitution states: No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained the age of twenty-seven years and have been a citizen and inhabitant of the State three years next preceding the day of his election and the last year of that term an inhabitant of the Senatorial District in which he shall be chosen, unless he shall have been absent on the public business of the United States or of this State.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Delaware legislature are paid $42,750 per year. Legislators are allowed a maximum of $7,334 in expenses annually.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the Senate President must call for a special election. The election must be called for no later than 30 days after the vacancy happened. The Governor may make the declaration if the Senate is not in session. The date of the election must be set no later than 10 days after a declaration was made.
- See also: Delaware State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Delaware State Senate consisted of a primary election on February 11, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 6, 2012. Incumbent David G. Lawson (R) defeated Catherine Samardza (I) and Kathleen Cooke (D) in the general election. The candidates ran unopposed in the February 7 primary elections. 
|Delaware State Senate, District 15, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Dave Lawson Incumbent||50.6%||9,547|
Since 2000, candidates for Delaware State Senate District 15 have raised a total of $331,751. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $30,159 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Delaware State Senate District 15|
- Delaware State Legislature
- Delaware State Senate
- Delaware House of Representatives
- Delaware state legislative districts
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- Public Mapping Project, “Delaware 2010 Census Statistics,” November 8, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- Delaware State Legislature, "Delaware State Senate," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Delaware Legislature, "Delaware Election Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statutes § 7101 and § 7104, Delaware Code)
- Delaware Secretary of State, "2012 General Election," November 4, 2013
- Delaware Secretary of State, "2012 General Primary,” November 4, 2013