Delaware State Senate District 6
|Delaware State Senate District 6|
|Current incumbent||Ernesto B. Lopez|
|Ethnicity||5.7% Black, 3.9% Hispanic|
|Voting age||86.3% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 6, 2018|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 38,656 civilians reside within Delaware's sixth state senate district. Delaware state senators represent an average of 42,759 residents, as of the 2010 Census. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 37,314 residents.
About the office
Article II, Section 3 of the Delaware Constitution states: No person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained the age of twenty-seven years and have been a citizen and inhabitant of the State three years next preceding the day of his election and the last year of that term an inhabitant of the Senatorial District in which he shall be chosen, unless he shall have been absent on the public business of the United States or of this State.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Delaware legislature are paid $42,750 per year. Legislators are allowed a maximum of $7,334 in expenses annually.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the Senate President must call for a special election. The election must be called for no later than 30 days after the vacancy happened. The Governor may make the declaration if the Senate is not in session. The date of the election must be set no later than 10 days after a declaration was made.
- See also: Delaware State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Delaware State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 8, 2014. Claire R. Snyder-Hall was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Ernesto B. Lopez was unopposed in the Republican primary. Lopez defeated Snyder-Hall in the general election.
|Delaware State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Ernesto B. Lopez Incumbent||63.4%||11,633|
|Democratic||Claire R. Snyder-Hall||36.6%||6,718|
- See also: Delaware State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Delaware State Senate consisted of a primary election on February 11, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 6, 2012. Ernesto Lopez (R) defeated Glen Urquhart in the August 14 Republican primary election, before defeating Andrew W. Staton (D) and Gwendolyn Jones (L) in the general election. The candidates ran without primary opposition. 
|Delaware State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2012|
|Delaware State Senate, District 6 Republican Primary, 2012|
Since 2002, candidates for Delaware State Senate District 6 have raised a total of $841,233. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $70,103 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Delaware State Senate District 6|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- Delaware State Legislature
- Delaware State Senate
- Delaware House of Representatives
- Delaware state legislative districts
- Public Mapping Project, “Delaware 2010 Census Statistics,” November 8, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population: 2000," April 2, 2001
- Delaware State Legislature, "Delaware State Senate," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Delaware Legislature, "Delaware Election Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statutes § 7101 and § 7104, Delaware Code)
- State of Delaware, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election results," accessed November 13, 2014
- Delaware Secretary of State, "2012 General Election," November 4, 2013
- Delaware Secretary of State, "2012 General Primary,” November 4, 2013