Delaware governor leads National Governors Association meeting
DOVER, Delaware: Delaware Governor Jack Markell, chair of the National Governors Association (NGA) and Oklahoma Gov. and vice-chair Mary Fallin, convened the winter meeting of the National Governors Association on February 24, 2013.
Governors from across the nation gathered in Washington, D.C. for the meeting where they will meet with President Obama, members of his administration, business leaders, and other experts for conversations about issues and challenges facing states.
The official business portion of the meeting began on February 25 with an opening session that focused on Gov. Markell’s Chair’s Initiative. His initiative focuses on employment challenges that affect individuals with intellectual and other disabilities and the roles both state governments and businesses can play in advancing employment opportunities for these individuals. Markell announced the focus of his initiative in July 2012 when he took over as the chair of the NGA.
Markell noted at the meeting, “Every governor wants to be the ‘jobs’ governor. We can’t forget the people in our states with disabilities; we need to be the jobs governor for them, too. That’s why I’ve chosen to focus my initiative on ways that states and businesses can increase employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities.”
He also told those at the meeting that the NGA will continue to explore ways that states can work to develop programs for employing those with disabilities. The areas governors were told to focus on include utilizing business leaders as advocates and meeting with parents of the disabled to promote the idea that their child can get a job.
Part of the overall goal is to develop a list of best practices for state governments, and the association has already planned two institutes in May for governors and their staffs to meet with business leaders to share their findings.
- News: "Jack Markell, NGA Chairman, Will Focus On Jobs For The Disabled"
- News: "Governors Pushed To Implement Jobs Programs For People With Disabilities"
- News: "Governors Convene for 2013 National Governors Association Winter Meeting"
- National Governors Association
|Propositions •||Recall||• Law|
- Delaware.gov "Governors Convene for 2013 National Governors Association Winter Meeting" Accessed February 25, 2013
- Huffington Post "Governors Pushed To Implement Jobs Programs For People With Disabilities" Accessed February 25, 2013
- Huffington Post "Jack Markell, NGA Chairman, Will Focus On Jobs For The Disabled" Accessed February 25, 2013