Delaware governor signs bills providing services for the hearing and speech impaired
One bill, Senate Bill 248, provides telecommunications services for the deaf and those with hearing loss or speech disabilities. The other, House Bill 384, updates the Universal Newborn and Infant Hearing Screening Act. The update requires a tracking and intervention protocol when a child has been identified as needing additional hearing services. It also creates the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Advisory Board.
State Representative Quinn Johnson, sponsor of House Bill 384 noted that it also helps the state adhere to federal standards and helps allow Delaware to continue to receive federal funding that is provided to run the newborn hearing screening process. Only federal money is received and used for the program.
Governor Markell said in an August 3 press conference, “Both of these bills address the overall quality of life for many in Delaware. For our youngest population, we are helping to strengthen Delaware’s hearing screening law and early intervention services. For those who currently experience deafness, hearing loss or speech disabilities, we are greatly improving their ability to communicate easily and effectively with others. Though the changes are small, the impact is extraordinarily significant."
State Senator Karen Peterson who sponsored Senate Bill 248 commented, “This bill addresses a long-neglected need among Delawareans who are deaf, hearing impaired, or speech impaired. It provides real-time captioned telephone services for those who do not have internet access. For hundreds of Delawareans, it will truly be a lifeline.”
- News: State of Delaware "Governor Signs Two Bills Helping Those with Hearing Loss"
- News: ABC WPVI "Del. governor to sign deaf services bill"
- News: The Republic "Delaware governor signs bills providing services for the hearing and speech impaired"
|Propositions •||Recall||• Law|
- Delaware Governor Jack Markell
- Delaware General Assembly
- Delaware State Senate
- Delaware House of Representatives
- State Senator Karen Peterson
- State Representative Quinn Johnson
- ↑ ABC WPVI "Del. governor to sign deaf services bill" Accessed August 14, 2012
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Republic "Delaware governor signs bills providing services for the hearing and speech impaired" Accessed August 14, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Delaware.gov "Governor Signs Two Bills Helping Those with Hearing Loss" Accessed August 14, 2012